Style

WLW Couples Costume Ideas (But Neither of You Have to Dress as a Man)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

While looking up ideas online for a couples costume for my girlfriend and I, I came to the sad realization that these articles are being written by straight people. I don’t have any other explanation for Elsa and Anna being on almost every list. I’m not kidding, one was even captioned something along the lines of “now when everyone asks if you are sisters, you can say yes!” Yikes. If it wasn’t that, the costumes were boy/girl costumes and one girlfriend would just have to suck it up and dress like a dude. Which isn’t an issue for everyone but I am sure plenty of wlw couples would prefer to both be dressed as female characters. So I decided to make a list of my own! Here are 13 wlw couple costumes that won’t force either partner to dress up as a man OR a family member.

Kim Possible and Shego from Kim Possible

It is a joke in the wlw community that many of our “gay awakenings” were fight scenes between Shego and Kim Possible. Bring this to life by dressing up as these “enemies.”

Alex and Piper from Orange is the New Black

Speaking of gay televison, this messed up power couple is an easy costume to put together. Only problem you’ll run into is arguing about who gets to be Alex.

Lizzie and Isabella from The Lizzie McGuire Movie

Aka Hillary Duff and brunette Hillary Duff.

Any Disney Villain and Protagonist Duo

Maleficent and Sleeping Beauty? Ursula and Ariel? As long as you aren’t white dressing up like pocahontas, this is a great option. 

Daisy and Peach from “Super Mario”
A good choice for two femmes. Leave the bros Mario and Luigi at home and step out as the baddest Super Mario characters. 

Gabriela and Sharpay from Highschool Musical

Something about rivalries…..I think I’ve seen the enemies to lovers trope one too many times.

Velma and Daphne from Scooby Doo

So many people are up in arms about Velma being depicted as a lesbian in an upcoming Scooby Doo and it’s like, yall didn’t figure that one out? Look at that outfit. Also (and yes I am stealing this from Facebook) Shaggy is the kind of guy a lesbian dates before coming out.

A Witch and a Salem Townsperson

Considering women with red hair were accused of witchcraft, lesbianism would definitely have landed you on that stake! Own it!

Princess Bubblegum and Marceline from Adventure Time

I call wearing the pink wig!

Food Pairings

Avocado and toast? Eggs and bacon? Ketchup and mustard? Tequila and lime? The list goes on. Corny? Maybe. But it’s Halloween and at least you aren’t dressed up as blood relatives or straight people.

Animal Pairings

You know what they say in Mean Girls about Halloween being a night where girls can dress up a little slutty and the hardcore girls just do lingerie and animal ears? That is a last minute option that shouldn’t be overlooked. Cat and dog? Zebra and lion? If you are feeling more modest, switch out the lingerie for a t- shirt, it still counts as a costume. 

Surfer and Mermaid

Forget who’s femme and who’s masc. Who is the surfer and who is the mermaid?

Cady Heron and Regina George from Mean Girls

You’re like, really pretty. So you agree, you think you’re really pretty?

Cadet Kelly and Jennifer Stone

Because seriously what the hell was going on between these characters? The sexual tension was ridiculous.