Why Test Scores Don’t Define You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Personally as I’ve gone through college, my test-taking skills have varied depending on the class. I’m not going to lie, on some exams I don’t even know how I got a perfect score. On other exams I wonder how I did so poorly despite studying for days or even weeks in advance. Whether I crammed and did hundreds of all-nighters or went to every source of tutoring and office hours available, my test scores soon began to affect me negatively without me realizing it.

It’s hard to transition to college, especially when it comes to different classes sizes, new curriculums, and different teaching styles from professors young and old. I learned the hard way that one exam could drop your grade so badly you’re scarred for the rest of the semester trying to bring it back up. You will cry, jump for joy, seek help, face it alone or befriend a study-buddy, be defeated, or conquer any course that comes your way. However you tackle your tests and exams it is very important to know that your grades and GPA does not and should not define who you are.

Everyone is different when it comes to his or her study habits. How you were disciplined to complete homework or prepare for exams while growing up really impacts how you move through the upcoming school year. Growing up, I was a straight-A student that was always on honor-roll. This was mainly because my parents instilled in me that grades were too important to take for granted, and made me study for hours on end (even in the summertime). My parents showered me with praise as I strolled through elementary school and middle school with the perfect grades. It wasn’t until eighth grade where my confidence in test taking truly took a hit.

Math was, and still is, one of my biggest weaknesses. When I received my first ever F, it not only confused me but destroyed me. I was so young and the disappointment ate away at me as I continued to receive bad grades on tests. I tried getting help, but the more I reached out the more I felt like I wasn’t as smart as I thought I was. Sadly this continued through high school, and in numerous classes I became satisfied with “just-getting-by” grades. Sure I passed my classes but I didn’t have the drive to truly do my best. Going from a 3.8 GPA my freshman year to a 2.9 my senior year bothered me in a way, but never made me want to improve. My parents were concerned, but I was so broken inside I thought I could never be smarter or better in school.

Of course my test-taking skills quickly hit me in college. I tried enforcing new habits and going above and beyond. But after every first F it tore me apart over and over. I have failed many classes, went to summer school two years in a row, retook countless courses and have suffered greatly through all of it. I went from a 3.7 GPA freshman year, to a 2.8, and now after many tears and long nights it’s back to a 3.2. Even though I managed to somehow excel freshman year despite me putting myself down so much, today I am still figuring it out.

It’s been hard, but luckily I have encountered many friends and faculty that have helped along the way. Even my siblings who have been at their lowest points in regards to grades have told me to never give up. With all of these bumps along the road, and who knows how many mental breakdowns, somehow I found the confidence within me to take on even the hardest of exams. I want you to know, that one F, D, or even a C is not the end of the world! Patience is key, and developing strategies to raise your grades is imperative in the early stages of college.

Here are some does and don’t when it comes to test taking in college:

DO study material after class is over. DON’T study right before the test. You will not only retain the information better but taking your own notes along with looking over notes from class will benefit your memory.

DO seek help. DON’T do it all alone. Going to a professor’s office hours for one-on-one help, finding people to study with, or even Youtube video tutorials is better than putting all of the testing pressure on yourself.

DO manage your time. DON’T prioritize fun over your studies. By planning ahead, and setting a set schedule for homework and studying you will feel better when the test comes around. Sometimes you have to sacrifice times with friends and personal entertainment to be ready. And that’s ok.

DO take time to take care of yourself. DON’T spread yourself too thin. College can get stressful! Make sure to always have time to relax and enjoy the experience. Going into a test without any sleep, food, or a calm mind will give you the opposite grade you want.

Remember that you are great! You made it to college, and even though some days are better than others people believe in you. The past is the past, and now you have a new mindset going into a whole new environment. A few bad grades here in there are doesn’t mean it will be like that for the rest of the semester. You are allowed to withdraw from classes and face them again when you are ready. Retaking classes doesn’t mean you’re a failure. It means you have the guts to go in and do better! Summer school may be a drag but doing whatever it takes to rock those tests and move onto the next year is not a bad thing either. Never forget it’s ok to not graduate on time. You move at your own pace, and soon all of that hard work will put you on that stage. Even though they do matter your grades don’t define you. Those numbers and letters on your transcript are not labels on your forehead. You are so much more than that.

I graduated from the University of Akron in 2019 majoring in Communications of Public Relations with a minor in Biology. Aspiring writer/journalist for wildlife conservation. (She/Her)
Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.