Why It’s Okay to be Excited about Back-to-School, Even After Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

While nobody wants the fun relaxation or steady income of summer jobs to come to an end, there is something so exciting about going back to school. While all the move-in and welcome week events are geared towards the new freshmen, there’s still so many reasons to be excited about going back, even after your first year.

Obviously, seeing friends again

While nobody wants the fun relaxation or steady income of summer jobs to come to an end, there is something so exciting about going back to school. While all the move-in and welcome week events are geared towards the new freshman, there’s still so many reasons to be excited about going back, even after your first year.

…Free stuff, duh!

Don’t assume the free things are only for the freshmen. There are always so many events with free admission, free food or giveaways that aren’t actually reserved for freshman. Always keep an eye out for the schedule of events when going back to school to see all the things you can get and do, just for being a student.

Closer to graduation

While this may be a sad idea for some, it can be so exciting for others! Going into senior year, you may see it as your last chance to do things, so you’re more willing to go to that event on campus, go to that football game tailgate, or simply relax knowing you aren’t required to really do anything. Graduating is bittersweet, full of both firsts and lasts, but all those nights you spend studying (and crying over studying) are soon going to be a scary memory!

Experiences from a new stand point

One of the greatest things about not being a freshman is not being a freshman. You don’t get lost on your first day; you know how the meal plan works; and you don’t have to attend any mandatory freshman events. This means that you get to help show someone where to go; you get to explain to someone what food they can get with their meal plan; you get to work or volunteer at those events to help better the freshmen’s experiences. It can be encouraging to help freshmen adjust and make them feel welcomed into the college community.

School spirit

There is never a campus more full of school colors than one at the beginning of the school year. As you walk around these first few days back, look around you and see how many people are sporting school shirts, lanyards (because freshman), and even water bottles. It’s always exciting to see so many students just like you, at the same school as you and proudly showing that. Most likely you chose to come here, so show the world how happy you are with your choice!

Getting into a routine

While it may have been more relaxing to only worry about your work calendar over the summer instead of multiple class syllabi and organization/club meeting schedules, in addition to work schedules– remember how on top of things you felt using your planner all the time to keep everything together? It’s time to feel that great again! Knowing your scheduled lunch time and looking forward to your daily workouts lets you know that you have it all together, and it’s great for your physical and mental state to have a normal routine each week. 

Closer to fall

DUH! With the start of school comes the start of the typical pumpkin spice lattes, riding boots, cool weather, sweaters, and pumpkin patch or apple orchard photo shoots. You know you love all of the things that come with this season, so at least school means that it’s just around the corner!

Possibly a new found appreciation

Happen to walk past the quad during a huge freshman welcome event? Maybe you go to the first soccer game of the season and the stadium is packed. Or maybe you’re even volunteering at a welcome week table during the first week of classes. Seeing so many people and so much excitement just might make you appreciate your time at college even more. Yes, it’s stressful. Going back does mean less free time and more brain frying, but you are so lucky to have the chance to go to college when so many cannot afford to be there. Look at all the other people excited to start a new year, put on a smile, and remember that any year at a place you love is worth your attention and happiness.

Hi! :) I am a student at the University of Akron, Akron, OH, but originally from Sharpsville, PA. I am double majoring with English and Adolescent-to-Young-Adult Education with Integrated Language Arts. I love sparkly things, my sisters, traveling, and having fun!
Madeline Myers is a 2020 graduate of the University of Akron. She has a B.A. English with a minor in Creative Writing. At Her Campus, Madeline enjoys writing movie and TV reviews. Her personal essay “Living Room Saloon” is published in the 2019 issue of The Ashbelt. Madeline grew up in Zanesville, Ohio. She loves quoting comedians, reading James Baldwin, and sipping on grape soda. She fears a future run by robots but looks forward to the day when her stories are read by those outside of her immediate family.