Life > Academics

Why Everyone Should Take a Writing Workshop While in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

This semester was my first time taking a writing workshop class at the University of Akron. As an English major, I have toiled through seemingly endless writing tasks and essays. Like anything, these tasks are important but fail to ignite further wonder and appreciation for writing as a whole.

However, this Introduction to Creative Nonfiction Writing Workshop Course has reawakened my joy for writing. Many years ago, I used to pour my heart out on the page. Unfortunately, I had been feeling very stuck as of late and could not quite just get words on a page anymore. More than anything, I think I needed to find my own distinctive voice before I would attempt to write another’s in a personal creative work.

Creative Nonfiction Writing in itself focuses on bringing real events and stories to life with creative writing techniques. Throughout the class, you hone your tone, descriptions, structure, and insight in stories. Not to mention, you have the opportunity to hear feedback on your work from your peers. While this certainly seemed daunting to me at first, I found that we are all in the same boat. We are all working toward a goal of bettering our writing skills. 

In fact, the professor pointed out that when you find out that something you felt was your best work can be better, you can find joy in that. There is so much room for the exploration of how you can improve and sharpen your craft. As someone who struggles with receiving feedback at times (and especially with putting something like writing out for critique), this message has certainly encouraged me in my writing journey.

There is also value in seeing beyond your own writing and how it is perceived by others – how your voice comes across the page. Each voice is distinctive and it is fascinating to uncover your own. As I continue to write in our class exercises and personal essays, I find myself becoming more transparent with who I am and letting my qualities show through in my writing.

Overall, my Introduction to Creative Nonfiction Writing Workshop Class has been a truly wonderful way to join a community of people who enjoy writing like I do. I believe that everyone (English major or not) should at least try a semester in a writing workshop class. You might be surprised at your own skills in the craft and how you improve over the course of months. Or, perhaps, you will be more surprised at how much more you have learned about yourself in the process.

Emily is excited to be a part of the Akron chapter of Her Campus. She is majoring in English and minoring in Converged Media Studies. She is also working toward a Certificate in Professional Social Media. Emily enjoys drinking tea, decorating, and spending time with her family. Her favorite motto / quote to live by is Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."