This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

With Spring Break upon us (almost two weeks and counting!) for University of Akron students, and the pandemic still a serious and grave concern, one safe way to spend that valuable time off is in bed, remote in hand, binging reality TV and classic movies. At least, that’s my plan. Here’s what coming to Netflix and Hulu for April to help make that plan a reality.

According to What’s on Netflix, Netflix is expanding its collection with many Netflix Originals and classic movies. I am particularly excited for Legally Blonde (2001), a beloved feminist movie starring Reese Witherspoon as the iconic Elle Woods, and the new Netflix Original docuseries, Worn Stories, about clothes and our relationship with them. Some other exciting Netflix Originals include the limited series This is a Robbery: The World’s Biggest Art Heist, Concrete Cowboy (2021) starring Idris Elba and Stranger Things’ Caleb McLaughlin, Thunder Force (2021) starring dream team Octavia Spencer and Melissa McCarthy, Night in Paradise (2021), a Korean crime drama, and the first season of the Japanese anime, The Way of the Househusband. If you’re looking for horror, you’re in luck, as Netflix has added Insidious (2010), Leprechaun (1993), The Possession (2012), Crimson Peak (2015), and Things Heard and Seen (2021). If documentaries are more your style, then White Boy (2017), Coded Bias (2020), and Why Did You Kill Me? (2021) might be worth a look. 

Hulu is also adding new titles to their already expansive library. According to CNET, Hulu is adding some familiar favorites in the disaster-movie, apocalypse genre with 2012 (2009), 28 Days Later (2003), and Mad Max (1980). Award winners like The Color Purple (1985) and Monster’s Ball (2001), and childhood classics such as Napoleon Dynamite (2004), Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian (2009), and The Sandlot (1993) are also added to the mix. If you’re looking for romance, Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994), Sex And The City (2008), and Waiting to Exhale (1995) have been included in Hulu’s library too. The premieres of Sasquatch, a documentary series about the titular mythological creature, and the next installment of the Law and Order universe, Organized Crime, starring Christopher Meloni in a long-awaited reprisal of Elliot Stabler, are sure to be must-sees, as well. Personally, I am really looking forward to Arrival (2016), one of my favorite sci-fi movies that stars Amy Adams. 

Emily Janikowski, otherwise known as Em, can be found usually lurking in the depths of the Polsky building as a writing tutor, and when she isn't there, she is curled up in bed binge watching Law & Order SVU. Her passion lies in changing the world, and she hopes to accomplish this through majoring in social work.