This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

A little over a year ago, Jeffree Star and Shane Dawson joked about creating a Shane Dawson palette. It is known by most people that Jeffree also creates crazy and unique eyeshadow palettes for his cosmetics company. If you want to launch something different and that stands out, Jeffree Star is the person you want to collaborate with. Shane decided that creating his very own makeup collection with Jeffree was something he wanted to do. Then, he began to video document the ENTIRE thing, and made it into a series for his Youtube channel. 

For the last year, every Shane Dawson fan has been on the edge of their seats while waiting for the Youtube series to drop. On October 1st, 2019, Shane finally released the first video of the series. This was the moment every one of us had been waiting for. In the video, they discussed the background of Jeffree Star and how Jeffree lives. As videos continued to be uploaded, everyone got more and more excited. They showed the entire process of creating a palette and all of the merchandise. Everyone got to see the good, the bad and the dirty of the makeup industry. This is the first time someone has fully documented the whole process and personally, I was shocked. You don’t truly realize how much goes into making a palette and how long the process really is. 

The more of the videos being posted, the more the anticipation grew. But on October 29th, 2019, the final reveal of the palette was posted. Not only did Shane reveal his palette, but he also revealed his merch collection. The Jeffree x Shane launch included 20 items. He released the well-known Conspiracy palette, as well as a mini palette named the Mini Controversy, six different lipstick shades, lip gloss, lip balm, a track suit, 3 different makeup bags, 2 different side bags, and 2 different hand mirrors. This is HUGE because not only did he come out with makeup for his makeup-loving fans, but he also came out with merchandise for his fans who do not care for makeup. 

On November 1st, 2019, it was officially launch day. I woke up at 9 am that day because I was just so excited. I had one thing in mind, I NEEDED the Conspiracy Palette. The launch was at 10 am PST, which meant it was launching at 1 pm EST. I had been on Jeffree’s website since 12 noon. As it got closer to 1, I kept refreshing so I could be one of the first people to click “add to cart.” At 12:58 pm, the items were available on the website, but as soon as I clicked add to cart, the ENTIRE website was broken. Jeffree and Shane had broken the internet. I kept trying to refresh the page, but nothing was working. At this point, I was freaking out because I had been wanting this palette from the second I heard about it. I was in the queue on my phone, laptop, iPad and my roommates phone with hopes that one of them would work. Two and a half hours and a fire drill later…the website let me place my order and I was beyond excited. 

A few weeks later, my palette had finally arrived and words cannot even express how excited I was. I waited so long and I was finally able to create eye looks with it. My first impression of the palette was that it is very well rounded. You can create endless looks and get very creative with the colors. I loved that they put in many neutral colors so you can use it for your everyday look, but you can also spice things up and put a pop of color when you want. After playing around with it a little, I realized that the shades are extremely pigmented and super easy to blend, all while being super buildable. As a long time Jeffree Star and Shane Dawson fan, I am super proud of them both for creating this amazing palette and the entire Jeffree Star x Shane Dawson line. I truly hope that Shane and Jeffree continue to collaborate and I cannot wait to see what they have in store for their fans.

I am a sophomore Marketing Management student at The University of Akron. I enjoy studying math and writing articles while kicking back with some friends and coffee.
Madeline Myers is a 2020 graduate of the University of Akron. She has a B.A. English with a minor in Creative Writing. At Her Campus, Madeline enjoys writing movie and TV reviews. Her personal essay “Living Room Saloon” is published in the 2019 issue of The Ashbelt. Madeline grew up in Zanesville, Ohio. She loves quoting comedians, reading James Baldwin, and sipping on grape soda. She fears a future run by robots but looks forward to the day when her stories are read by those outside of her immediate family.