This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Are you committed to the cut? 

Not everyone is super ready to go full-on pixie or bob after growing out their lovely locks. So, the butterfly cut (coined by Sunnie Brook, a stylist and biolage ambassador) is a great way to get a taste of both short and long styles.

Refinery29 states the butterfly haircut as one whose “popularity is thanks in part to the illusion it creates of a shorter style without losing out on length.” Refinery29 also states that this look is created when the front of the hair contains shorter layers so that you appear to have a shorter hairstyle when you pull your hair back.

Jessica Lindsay mentions in a Metro article how the butterfly hairstyle can also be used as a temporary style after growing out a fringe or curtain bangs. The article also mentions one of the celebs that sported this new “butterfly haircut” look: Euphoria actor, Sydney Sweeney.

With all the new hair trends and styles becoming popular in 2022, it is still important to maintain a sense of your own personal style and enhance the wonderful qualities your hair already provides!

Emily is excited to be a part of the Akron chapter of Her Campus. She is majoring in English and minoring in Converged Media Studies. She is also working toward a Certificate in Professional Social Media. Emily enjoys drinking tea, decorating, and spending time with her family. Her favorite motto / quote to live by is Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."