This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Thursday morning, the University of Akron suffered an irreplaceable loss with the death of a member of our campus. 

The University of Akron released a statement Thursday in Zipmail, the student newsletter. This brief statement voiced the university’s sadness and contained a link to resources stating, “We have many programs, resources and supportive professionals available to help you deal with this news or any other issues in your life. If you are aware of someone in distress, or if you are in need of help, this page lists the resources available.” The aforementioned page is the Help a Zip referral system, where students and staff can refer themselves or someone else in need of assistance in anything from academic, financial to bereavement needs. There is also a helpful dropdown menu for handling emergencies, sexual misconduct, behavioral issues, health issues, and suicide prevention. 

The University of Akron also mentioned in the statement released Thursday that foul play was not suspected, which is consistent with the Akron Beacon Journal’s reporting that the death was a suspected suicide according to the Summit County Medical Examiner’s Office. 

While we do not know conclusively what happened, it is so important to take this opportunity to check in with loved ones. According to Shairi Turner, MD, MPH, Chief Medical Officer of Crisis Text Line, a university recomended program that connects people with crisis counselors via text, “Stigma around suicide is bred from silence.” The best way to help people struggling with and considering suicide is to talk to them about mental health. Break the silence, no matter how awkward it can be. 

Studies in the suicide prevention field have found evidence that talking about suicide reduces the risk of suicide in people who are having suicidal ideations. In fact, according to John Draper, PhD, Director of the university recomended National Suicide Prevention Lifeline (1-800-273-8255) that provides free and confidential support, “For every one person that dies by suicide here in the United States, there are about 278 people that think seriously about suicide but don’t kill themselves.” Dr. Draper attributes this to people talking about suicide and helping those 278 people get the help they desperately need. 

BeThe1To.com discusses the five action steps to discussing suicide with a friend or loved one that might be suicidal. First, ask if they are thinking about committing suicide and listen to their answers without judgment. Then, determine if the person has a detailed plan or if they have already made an attempt or harmed themselves. BeThe1To.com discusses that more detailed plans mean higher risk, but if the preferred method of suicide is taken away then the risk decreases. The third step is just being there for that person whether through a phone call, text message or going to spend time in person, that day and the next. The fourth step is to help connect the person to professional resources like the Crisis Text Line, a counselor, or the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. The fifth step is to stay connected and check in with the person whether that is texting them an encouraging message or hanging out with them. 

Sometimes the person is not a loved one and you may have only a few minutes with them at your job or in your class. The University of Akron states that the warning signs for suicide include: ideation, substance abuse, purposelessness, anxiety, feeling trapped, hopelessness, withdrawal, anger, recklessness, and mood changes. The university also states that threats to harm themselves, talking about dying and looking for ways to harm themselves are all acute warning signs. The university recommends encouraging the student to seek counseling and even calling the University of Akron Police Department if necessary (330-972-2911). The university provides free counseling services at the Counseling and Testing Center in Simmons Hall Room 306

Having lost a loved one to suicide I know how profound and devastating it can be and how long the pain will last. The most painful part of suicide is that it can be completely preventable. Please talk to your loved ones or even people you don’t know. Talk about how they feel and what they think. Tell them how much you care. Be there. Just be there. 

Emily Janikowski, otherwise known as Em, can be found usually lurking in the depths of the Polsky building as a writing tutor, and when she isn't there, she is curled up in bed binge watching Law & Order SVU. Her passion lies in changing the world, and she hopes to accomplish this through majoring in social work.
Madeline Myers is a 2020 graduate of the University of Akron. She has a B.A. English with a minor in Creative Writing. At Her Campus, Madeline enjoys writing movie and TV reviews. Her personal essay “Living Room Saloon” is published in the 2019 issue of The Ashbelt. Madeline grew up in Zanesville, Ohio. She loves quoting comedians, reading James Baldwin, and sipping on grape soda. She fears a future run by robots but looks forward to the day when her stories are read by those outside of her immediate family.