This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

The much-anticipated 2019 MTV Video Music Awards premiered in Newark, New Jersey on August 26, 2019, and they certainly did not disappoint. The stage was on fire with talent from Summer break out star Lizzo to the reigning Queen of Pop herself, Taylor Swift. Although, as much as fans were anticipating the awards, the performances are what shined during the Music Awards. There were so many amazing performances, but five performances in particular really seem to own the night.

Miley Cyrus – “Slide Away”

This is the first time Miley has performed her single , which is seemingly about her divorce from Liam Hemsworth. The performance is stripped down, the sole focus being on the lyrics and her powerful voice. You can hear the pain in her voice as she sings the song, which is so breathtaking. It definitely had to be difficult to sing about the trials and tribulations of the divorce, but her raspy, strong voice stood out to so many people.

Taylor Swift – “You Need to Calm Down”

Performing “You Need to Calm Down,” an anthem to the LGBT community from her new album, Lover, Taylor starts out with so many rainbows and a recreation of the sunbathing scene from the “You Need To Calm Down” music video. The transition from the upbeat, poppy anthem to the casual, stripped down “Lover” was a wonderful juxtaposition of Taylor’s country roots and her more upbeat, current pop sound. This performance really solidified that she can do just about anything, especially when she is channeling her love for a certain English actor.

Missy Elliott – “The Rain,” “Hot Boyz,” “Get Ur Freak On” & More

Missy Elliot’s stellar futuristic medley of “The Rain,” “Hot Boyz,” “Get Ur Freak On,” “Work it,” “Pass That Dutch,” and “Lose Control” prove that even at forty-seven years old, she can still outperform the best of the best in today’s music industry. She is a hip-hop legend and has the mind of a creative genius. Among other things, this performance features aliens abducting a male dancer in a chain of events only Missy Elliot would think of. She is continuing to prove she is literally one of the best legends to ever come out of the music industry.

Lizzo – “Truth Hurts” & “Good As Hell”

Lizzo is the breakout star of the summer due to the release of her album Cuz I Love You this past May, and if you don’t know who she is, you have to be living underneath a rock because she is literally everywhere. In her medley performance of “Truth Hurts” and “Good as Hell,” she preaches body positivity and loving yourself, all while twerking with her dancers in front of a floating inflatable butt. She is legendary and she performs like she has been in this business for over thirty years. She is doing so much for the way women view themselves and their bodies, and it is such a beautiful message she sends out each and every time she performs.

Camila Cabello & Shawn Mendes – “Señorita”

This is one performance that made everyone have to fan themselves. It was so sultry and sexy in the best possible way. The performance starts out with Camila singing in a semi-sheer white dress with Shawn playing the guitar in a white tank top, both looking absolutely amazing, and there is a point where they both stop singing to just stare into each other’s eyes. The sexual tension was unreal, and everyone who was watching that performance definitely had to drink a glass of water after that. Fans did hope they would kiss at the end of the song, but had to settle for their cute little eskimo kiss at the end of the song. It was definitely a performance for the books.

Dorian Mayenschein is a non-binary senior at the University of Akron who majors in English while also minoring in Women's Studies. Their passions include pop culture, literature, social justice, LGBT rights and feminism as well as the Black Lives Matter movement. They hope to one day become a Senior Editor at a book publishing house in Chicago, Illinois and have people other than their aunts read their stories and support them.
Madeline Myers is a 2020 graduate of the University of Akron. She has a B.A. English with a minor in Creative Writing. At Her Campus, Madeline enjoys writing movie and TV reviews. Her personal essay “Living Room Saloon” is published in the 2019 issue of The Ashbelt. Madeline grew up in Zanesville, Ohio. She loves quoting comedians, reading James Baldwin, and sipping on grape soda. She fears a future run by robots but looks forward to the day when her stories are read by those outside of her immediate family.