“The Running Show:” An Ode to Dance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

On September 25, 2021 at 7:30pm,  Monica Bill Barnes and writer Robbie Sanez led the collaboration between the University of Akron dancers and the DanceCleveland group at the E.J. Thomas Hall.

Unlike most dance performances, The Running Show and its portrayal of dancers as athletes brings a new perspective to the world of dance. Why don’t we stand up and cheer for the performers and their fantastic feats? Rather than holding our polite applause until the end, “The Running Show” welcomed the audience’s acknowledgement for dancers during their performance just as any sports game would.

Not only that, but The Running Show also pulled back the veil that separates the dancers from the audience. We typically come into a show with little prior knowledge of the performers apart from their brief bios or relation with our own lives. The Running Show featured comments directly from dancers about their experience and how much dance means to them. Powerful testimonies of collaboration, the freedom of taking up space, the identity of the dancer, and the language of dance were featured in audio snippets.

In spite of only having a week to prepare and practice, the energy and endurance was evident in The Running Show performers! 
If you want to come out and further support the University of Akron’s Dance Department, check out their Instagram page. If you also want to learn more about upcoming events occurring at the E.J. Thomas Performing Arts Hall, subscribe to their page and you can receive emails of their future performances and activities.

Emily is excited to be a part of the Akron chapter of Her Campus. She is majoring in English and minoring in Converged Media Studies. She is also working toward a Certificate in Professional Social Media. Emily enjoys drinking tea, decorating, and spending time with her family. Her favorite motto / quote to live by is Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."