This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

This week HerCampus Akron has chosen to get a little personal with some on-campus organizations! I have chosen to interview the Society of Women Engineers (SWE)! I interviewed the Secretary, Nina Treacher. 

SWE is a student organization that helps women in engineering. Resources include workshops, training, resume editing, business etiquette, and networking. We attend Regional and Annual Conferences where further resources are available, including Career Fairs and professional development. Any woman that is majoring inside the college of engineering and polymer science (CEPS) can join this organization! Nina chose to join SWE because it was a great way to meet other women in engineering. Majoring in engineering can be intimidating at first since women are a minority in this major, however SWE was a great opportunity to form friendships that can help you through tough times. Nina’s favorite part of being a member is meeting new people and learning valuable information they can use to help improve themselves as an engineer. The guest speakers have the most insightful perspective on how to make your time in college effective and applicable to what you want to pursue post graduation. They also get the opportunity to become friends with super cool people that they don’t get the chance to meet in my classes. 

To learn more about this organization, you can find them on RooConnect and Instagram!

Ashley Brickner is a student at the University of Akron studying Aerospace Systems Engineering. She enjoys sharing her creativity, enthusiasm, and positivity in just about any activity she can. It's her life long goal to leave her mark on the world just as much as she hopes to in the sky. [aerospace engineer reference]