Student Organization Spotlight: American Sign Language Association

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

This week HerCampus Akron has chosen to get a little personal with some on-campus organizations! I have chosen to interview the University of Akron’s American Sign Language Association’s President, Katelynn DiPietro!

The American Sign Language Association is about exposing its members to the Deaf community in a different light of communication! Any University of Akron student can join, they do not have to be enrolled in an ASL class. Katelynn chose to join this organization because of their love for ASL. They wanted to surround themselves with people who also have this love and that they could sign with. Pre-Covid the organization would involve themselves within the Deaf community and sign with others outside the organization. Katelynn’s favorite part of being in this organization is all of the members! Katelynn said that they love their small group and how dedicated they are to their organization. Signing and talking with them is something that they look forward to every meeting. To learn more about this organization you can email them (uakronasl@gmail.com), find them on Instagram, Facebook and RooConnect!

I am a senior Environmental Science and Anthropology double-major at The University of Akron. I love science, Starbucks, writing, and hanging out with my friends and my dogs. I also love music and am apart of The University of Akron’s marching band.