This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

One of the main concerns students have entering college is whether to have a roommate or get a single room. As some of you may know, it’s a really big decision. A roommate is someone you’ll be living with for almost a year, if not more. That being said, you should weigh out the pros and cons.

Having a roommate:

Pro: There is always someone there to talk to.

Con: Talking too much can be a distraction from studying.

Pro: You won’t be lonely.

Con: You have limited alone time.

Pro: When you’re first starting college off, right away you have a friend.

Con: Rooming together might turn your friendship into a rivalry.

Pro: You can split cleaning duties- especially if you have a bathroom.

Con: You might end up being the only one cleaning up.

Pro: You can split the costs of appliances and decorations.

Cons: You could end up leaving with less than you had, or they could bring more than you want.

Pro: You have someone to complain and/or rant to.

Con: They could end up being the one you need to complain and/or rant about.

Not having a roommate:

Pro: You get to have your privacy.

Con: Things could get lonely.

Pro: You can decorate/furnish how you want.

Con: You have to buy everything.

Pro: You can feel comfortable and be yourself.

Con: A roommate might make everyday life more enjoyable.

I had a roommate during my first semester of freshman year. It was definitely nice to have someone there entering a college where I knew no one. She was someone I could go to dinner with, hang out, or just talk to. The second semester she found a cheaper living option and moved out, leaving me with a room and bathroom all to myself. In all honesty, I didn’t mind having a roommate. It was nice having someone there, but at the same time it was hard to have alone time. I personally love having my own room, especially now that I am adjusted to college. I can go see my friends when I want to and have my privacy when I want that as well. Whether or not you will have a good relationship with your roommate depends on them and you as well. If you do decide to have a roommate or can’t afford a single room, just try to make the best of it and remember they are in the same situation as you are!