books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Pushing Through the Last Few Weeks of the Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

The last few weeks of the semester are easily the toughest: all the work is piling up, you’re finishing up day-to-day classwork while also preparing for finals, and the world is coming to an absolute end. Okay, maybe not the last one, but sometimes that is what it feels like. Whether you’ve been a constant busy-bee all semester or a dedicated procrastinator, the last few weeks are tough to get through. We know, we’ve been there. So here are a few tips that can get you through the toughest of times.

Make Lists and Organize Your Schedule

Relying on only your brain to remember all the assignments you have coming up can be tricky. With all the information swimming around in your head, it’s easy to become overwhelmed. Make a list of all the upcoming assignments you have, when they should be done, and when you should start working on them. Organize your planner/calendar and do your best to organize your time and assignments so you aren’t stuck doing ten tasks the last day of classes.

Personally, I have a planner along with a whiteboard and chalkboard. I put everything from homework to coffee dates in my planner. On my whiteboard I write the assignments I have weekly, like class readings. On my chalkboard I have the bigger assignments, like tests, quizzes and papers. It helps me stay organized and know what I have when.

Prioritize Your Workload

If you know you need to study for your biology test weeks in advance, and your humanities paper only has to be three pages, get a head start on studying. It is easy to crash when you put multiple hours a day into one subject. Spread it out as much as you can through the weeks to come, using smaller assignments as breaks from a bigger study session.

Study with Friends or Make Plans

Friends can keep you company and accountable for studying. You can work in your social life with studying, a tricky thing to do with a busy schedule. Know yourself on this one, though. If you know you and your best friend will end up at a coffee shop procrastinating or watching Netflix, either opt for studying alone or find a less distracting friend.

Take Time for Yourself

Most importantly, take time for yourself. It is so easy to get overwhelmed and forget yourself, but don’t allow yourself to do that because it will just end in a crash of energy and motivation. It doesn’t have to be a huge thing. Exercise, get a latte, take a nap, go for a short walk, take a bath or try out a new face mask. College is a big part of your life, but it isn’t your whole life. Don’t lose yourself amongst the textbooks and stress. Take care of you so that you can take care of everything else!

Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.