An Open Letter to Serial Shoppers for The Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Dear serial shoppers/deal freaks/anyone who plans shopping this holiday season, 

I am only human. I think sometimes we often forget that people who work in retail, are just there to work. If it were up to us, we wouldn’t be working Black Friday or anytime during the holiday season. Trust me, you see a whole new side of humanity during the holiday season. And not the oh so jolly side that everyone wants to commercialize during the season. As a fellow retail worker, I want to share with you a few reminders as you go about your holiday season.

Retailers don’t make the prices.

We are just told from our companies what to do and how to sell. How our companies set up these deals that they are generously offering you on said days, are not in our control. So say it with me, “Sale associates don’t make the prices.” And remember that.

Be patient. Seriously.

Black Friday is a long day for us. We are running around, working early or late hours, cleaning up the messes that are made, and of course, being our best worker selves for you as customers. It’s important to be patient towards us as we are just doing our best.

Be kind to the sales associates.

To be totally transparent, I would rather be spending time with my family than swiping credit cards for you and your holiday gifts. I mean that in the nicest way possible. I get very envious of everyone who has that day off. Because if I could, I’d be at home with family. So, it’s important to remember to be kind to us as we are trying our best to get through the day as our time was cut short with our loved ones. We are human beings too, treat us with respect.

Three simple reminders. Three easy things to remember as you wait outside of retailer stores in the freezing cold at 5 in the morning for doors to reopen for more savings. I hope everyone has a great holiday season, especially those working in retail during those dates that we all dread year round as employees. You are all in my thoughts as the hectic day is fast approaching us. 

Sincerely, 

Someone in retail who is silently scared for another holiday season

Arden Palmquist is a Senior at The University of Akron majoring in Public Relations. She enjoys blogging and posting on her Instagram.
Madeline Myers is a 2020 graduate of the University of Akron. She has a B.A. English with a minor in Creative Writing. At Her Campus, Madeline enjoys writing movie and TV reviews. Her personal essay “Living Room Saloon” is published in the 2019 issue of The Ashbelt. Madeline grew up in Zanesville, Ohio. She loves quoting comedians, reading James Baldwin, and sipping on grape soda. She fears a future run by robots but looks forward to the day when her stories are read by those outside of her immediate family.