NOT BREAKING NEWS: Trump Says He’s Not a Feminist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

On January 27th, Donald Trump made a statement on TV that he is not a feminist.  

My first thought when I heard about this was, “well no sh*t sherlock.”  We can tell by the way you’re trying to run this country that you’re not a feminist.  He stated, “No, I wouldn’t say I’m a feminist. I mean, I think that would be, maybe, going too far. I’m for women, I’m for men, I’m for everyone.”  I hate to break it to you Trump, but a feminist is someone who just wants everyone to have equal rights.  We’re not a group that hates men and is only about women.  We’re just fighting for rights that men are given that we don’t have.  

I have a hard time believing that someone who is clearly for men, specifically that white men are the “superior” race and always come out on top, can sit there and say that they’re for everyone.  Trump, if you were really for everyone as you say, then explain why you’re trying so hard to rip families apart by deporting them based on their nationality.  Or the fact that you want to build a wall at the border or try to remove DACA.  

As someone who is supposed to be the leader of this country you should already be a feminist, especially since it’s 2018.  If you don’t think that women should have the same rights as men in today’s world, then you shouldn’t be able to run for president.  

As the leader of this country you should be supportive of all walks of life having the same rights across the board.  There’s no reason other than hatred and ignorance for not allowing people to have the same rights due to their race, ethnicity, religion, gender, or sexual identity.  Obviously, this is easier said than done because we can’t just snap our fingers and everyone has equal rights.  But, Obama thought that people of the LGBTQ+ community should have the same marital rights as heterosexuals and he pushed for it to happen and succeeded. So, if Trump actually pushed for people to have the same rights, I don’t see why we can’t accomplish at least something.  

Trump, I said it once and I’ll say it again: if you’re really “for everyone,” stop just saying that you are and let your actions prove that you mean what you’re saying.  As of right now, you not being a feminist isn’t a surprise, but you contradict yourself a lot.  With that being said, please make up your mind one way or another and stick with it for the sanity of America.

Just a girl who loves everything Cleveland and striving to make one positive impact a day. 
Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.