This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

We all have different hair types – thick, thin, straight, wavy, curly – but one thing girls should never have to face is discrimination against the way your hair naturally grows out of your head. Surprisingly, hair discrimination is actually a thing in this society.

A study done by the Perception Institute proved there is a bias towards black women wearing their natural hair. Many people in professional and social settings see their natural, kinky hair as “messy” or “unprofessional.”

The issues don’t just start when applying for professional jobs. A high school in South Africa experienced a protest last year due to discrimination of the hair of young women who attended the school. Girls with kinky hair were informed by their code of conduct that their hair was messy, making it inappropriate for their dress code.

That isn’t the only instance of teenage girls being shamed for their hair. Louisville Butler Traditional High School in Kentucky actually wrote in their dress code: “No dreadlocks, cornrolls, twists, mohawks, no jewelry will be worn in the hair.” The rule was seen as a direct target against black schoolchildren’s hairstyles.

Even after girls leave school rules, they still have to face the issue of the working world. An unspoken rule amongst black women is ‘Straight hair for the interview, natural hair once you’re in the door.’ Many professionals will choose one applicant over another based on hair style. If a black woman with a kinky afro comes in for an interview extremely qualified, a possible employer might actually be biased towards a candidate with straight hair just based on appearance.

A huge emphasis lately has been put on the acceptance of all women and their different shapes, sizes, and colors. This should also include their hair. All women should be proud of their hair, and society should be accepting and embracing of all different colors and types.

Hi! :) I am a student at the University of Akron, Akron, OH, but originally from Sharpsville, PA. I am double majoring with English and Adolescent-to-Young-Adult Education with Integrated Language Arts. I love sparkly things, my sisters, traveling, and having fun!