Natural Disaster Hits Puerto Rico: How Can You Help?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Hurricane season is devastating for much of the southern United States, as well as southern American countries and islands. Over the course of the last few months, countries such as the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Puerto Rico, as well as the U.S. states of Florida, Texas, and Alabama have received a brunt of the natural disasters. Puerto Rico in particular is in what is described as a humanitarian crisis, with devastation they call “apocalyptic”.

Not even two weeks after the landfall of Hurricane Irma, Puerto Rico was blindsided by the worst natural disaster the island has seen in nearly a century, Hurricane Maria. Leaving 90% of the U.S. territory without power, the people of Puerto Rico are still without electricity. Puerto Rico Governor, Ricardo Rossello is unsure of when the power grid will be fully up and running.

“There is no estimated date right now,” he said. “We have established, right at the beginning of this week, we want to have 10 percent of the energy generation in Puerto Rico. Now we’re up to 10.6 percent. And our expectation is, within the next month, to have 25 percent.”

The cost to repair the electricity on its own is an estimated $5 billion.

How can YOU help?

Cash

Rather than asking for supplies, organizations are requesting money so they can route it where it is needed the most. Here is a list of organizations with campaigns collecting donations:

Supplies

A great way to give back and help those affected by the disaster is to donate supplies. The government of Puerto Rico has compiled a list of essentials and emergency supplies that can be donated (from bottled water, hand sanitizer, formula, extension cords, tarp, and safety glasses). The National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disasters (VOAD) is coordinating many of these donations here.

Volunteers

The island is also going to be in need of volunteers to help with the repairs. VOAD helps match people with organizations that already have efforts underway. You can also check out a local church or service organization in your area to see if they have any service trips coming up in the near future.

Spread the Word

Talk about the problem, and be a part of the solution. Much of the problem is that there is a lack of communication coming from Puerto Rico and the Caribbean isn’t able to ask for help, due to the complete loss of power. Talk to your family members or your friends about getting involved and helping those in desperate need of assistance.

University of Akron English Education Major
Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.