This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

This semester is the first one where I am taking an [Un]class. The University of Akron has these types of classes available for any discipline or major to join. In fact, the  [Un]class I’m taking, I believe, matches up with my 400-level electives for my English degree. It is called “Menus and Manuscripts at the Hower House.”

This class has enabled me to dive into some research and become more aware of the resources on campus. For one of our [Un]class meetings, we went to the Archives in the basement of the Polsky Building. We learned how to use the Archives and Finding Aids to locate relevant information for our research topic.

In addition, we also visited the Cummings Center and learned about how to scan historical documents into the computer and name their files.

Since our [Un]class is focused on the Hower House, we were also able to take a class tour of the historical home.

Overall, this [Un]class has proved to be both challenging and informative. It has provided me with some interesting new skills to add to my resume, and its addition to my semester  complimented my schedule well. 

Other [Un]classes offered in Spring 2022 include: Discover the UA Museum of Zoology, Design Your Life, Sweet Reminders, and Anchoring Ourselves in Akron. You can also check out the [Un]classes held in previous years.

Overall, [Un]classes can offer you a way to branch out of your major for new skills or be a great addition to your field of study.

Emily is excited to be a part of the Akron chapter of Her Campus. She is majoring in English and minoring in Converged Media Studies. She is also working toward a Certificate in Professional Social Media. Emily enjoys drinking tea, decorating, and spending time with her family. Her favorite motto / quote to live by is Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."