sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sean o KMn4VEeEPR8 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Most Anticipated Summer Releases

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Many people are calling summer 2018 the “summer of movie releases” because of the sheer number of movies that are set to be released. One thing you definitely should be sure of is that you won’t be bored this summer if you go to the movies and see all of these amazing films. With close to thirty films being released this summer, here are the top five that are causing the most buzz!

Infinity War

This is the film that everyone who is a fan of the Marvel universe has been waiting for. There have been countless films surrounding the Avengers and the Marvel superheroes over the past decade that have been leading up to this one movie, one that has everyone come together to defend the world against a great force of destruction. This film is set to be released on April 27.

Breaking In

Breaking away from the Marvel universe, there is a movie that is coming out that has the entire nation talking. Breaking In is a story that focuses on motherhood in the best possible way. It features African American characters, and particularly a mother who will do anything to protect her family. It is really showing the strength of mothers, and the whole world will be watching to see how the entire story goes down. Breaking In is set to be released on May 11.

Deadpool 2

Deadpool is a movie that received rave reviews and had been in the works for years upon years, spearheaded by Ryan Reynolds himself, and the sequel is just as anticipated. With Deadpool’s origin story fully fleshed out, the follow up film is said to be full of action, amazing humor, and lots of fierce and kick butt characters from the newly formed X-Force. The sequel to Deadpool is set to be released on May 18.

Solo: A Star Wars Story

If you are at all familiar with the Star Wars franchise, you might have heard of the character Han Solo. He is one of the key characters from the original films, and now it is his time to shine. This new film will provide the backstory for the legendary character and his adventures with the infamous wookie, Chewbacca. The film is set to be released on May 25.

Incredibles 2

This is the film that everyone has been waiting for. There had been talk over the years since the original release of its predecessor, which was released about fourteen years ago, of a sequel being in the works, but it was finally confirmed. Not only has it been confirmed, there is a trailer and a summer release date. This film is said to focus on Elastigirl and resumes right after the initial film ended with the new villain known as the Underminer. While his wife is out fighting crime, Mr. Incredible stays home with the kids. This is one of the most anticipated films of the entire year, and is set to be released on June 15.

There are so many more films that could have made this list, but these are a few of the summer releases stirring excitement, so mark your calendars because these are films you do not want to miss!

Dorian Mayenschein is a non-binary senior at the University of Akron who majors in English while also minoring in Women's Studies. Their passions include pop culture, literature, social justice, LGBT rights and feminism as well as the Black Lives Matter movement. They hope to one day become a Senior Editor at a book publishing house in Chicago, Illinois and have people other than their aunts read their stories and support them.
Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.