Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Wins Big at The Emmy’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, which premiered November 29, 2017 on Amazon Prime, has fared well this awards season, sweeping up two Golden Globes and two Critics Choice Awards, among others. At the 2018 Primetime Emmy Awards, the series collected eight more accolades including Outstanding Comedy Series and Outstanding Casting for a Comedy Series.

The show also boasts awards for Alex Borstein (Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series), Rachel Brosnahan (Outstanding Lead Actress in a Comedy Series) and the show’s creator, Amy Sherman-Palladino (Outstanding Directing for a Comedy Series, Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series).

These awards are a great achievement—in fact, Sherman Palladino’s show broke the record for most Emmys won for a comedy in a single season. If you weren’t already a fan, this should certainly prompt reason to watch.

The show, which takes place in 1950s New York City, follows the life of a young affluent housewife Miriam “Midge” Maisel as she falls into the world of stand-up comedy. Although season two does not have an official release date, other than the fact that it’s “coming out this year.” You can watch the season two trailer here.  

Madeline Myers is a 2020 graduate of the University of Akron. She has a B.A. English with a minor in Creative Writing. At Her Campus, Madeline enjoys writing movie and TV reviews. Her personal essay “Living Room Saloon” is published in the 2019 issue of The Ashbelt. Madeline grew up in Zanesville, Ohio. She loves quoting comedians, reading James Baldwin, and sipping on grape soda. She fears a future run by robots but looks forward to the day when her stories are read by those outside of her immediate family.
Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.