This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Having a say in society has long been a contested right of minority groups. People with more power and control find it easier to have a voice while others may find themselves powerless and thus voiceless. Many women, especially young women, may find themselves quieted by men who think they know best, a concept referred to as mansplaining.

Coined by Rebecca Solnit in 2008 in her essay, “Men Explain Things to Me,” mansplaining is a term used to describe how men can condescendingly explain concepts to women that women are actually the experts on. While anyone of any gender can ‘mansplain,’ Solnit explains that  “mansplaining is not a universal flaw of the gender, just the intersection between overconfidence and cluelessness where some portion of that gender gets stuck.” Also, mansplaining comes with the idea that men are considered to be above women in society, and thus their opinions should be more valid and worthwhile for women to hear.

Rebecca Solnit, conceived this term when discussing a dinner party she attended where a fellow male guest repeatedly talked over her and condescendingly explained a book he had heard of which coincidentally, she was the author of.

Since the publication of her article, the term mansplaining has become very popular, with many women using social media platforms to share their worst experiences of mansplaining, from being told they were inserting tampons incorrectly to mispronouncing their own names. Mansplain is now even in the online Oxford Dictionary.

Recently, a cringe-worthy mansplaining incident occurred in the House Judiciary Committee between Congresswoman Pramila Jayapal of Washington and Darrell Issa of California over a debate on H.R. 4092, a labor bill. Issa refers to Jayapal not by a respectful title of Congresswoman, colleague, Representative, or even by her name, but rather as “young lady from Washington.” He said that she has “naiveté” because she’s a new member of Congress. Jayapal rightfully claps back and calls Issa out, rightfully so, referring to him as her “distinguished colleague” and says “perhaps we should all go back to being naïve and actually fight for our constituents and fight for the rights that make this country great.” Later, she posted a video of the incident on Twitter:  

It’s time for those who have historically been denied a voice to take a stand and call out disrespectful behavior like mansplaining once and for all.

Emily Janikowski, otherwise known as Em, can be found usually lurking in the depths of the Polsky building as a writing tutor, and when she isn't there, she is curled up in bed binge watching Law & Order SVU. Her passion lies in changing the world, and she hopes to accomplish this through majoring in social work.
Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.