This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

2018 is the year of the woman, or so mainstream media would have you think.

Yes, women have been gaining more power over themselves and their harassers, but we still have a long way to go for equality in the media industry. Let’s use Lorde as the example. Lorde was nominated alongside Bruno Mars, Kendrick Lamar, Childish Gambino, and Jay-Z for Album Of The Year at this year’s Grammy’s. She was also the only one out of the nominated not asked to perform. You’d think they would ask her to perform solo, seeing that Album Of The Year is one of the biggest awards you can get, and since she’s a strong female artist. Actually, as reported by Variety, Lorde was asked to perform a cover of Tom Petty’s song ‘American Girl’ but she declined that offer. It seems like a huge slap in the face, along the lines of, “Oh hey, congrats on being nominated. However, we don’t want you to perform something off of your Grammy nominated album.”

For this year to be so huge for the “Time’s Up!” movement and women empowerment, the Grammy’s directors sure had a funny way of showing it. Lorde is only the tip of the iceberg. An excerpt from The New York Times reads: “Of the 899 people nominated in the last six Grammy Awards, the report found, only 9 percent were women.” Lorde even took to Twitter to voice in a classy way how she felt.

It isn’t just the Grammys who have been screwing over female artists. Not one female director was nominated at the Golden Globes for Director Of The Year, and only just now was a female director nominated for an Oscar. In a time calling for equality, I’m sure not seeing the movement.

Hello everyone! My name is Shaye and I'm a Media Studies major at The University of Akron. Writing and video production are my passions and I hope my writing can create a passion in you! 
Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.