Lizzo’s “Truth Hurts” Hits #1 Two Years After its Release

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Lizzo has had some of the best few months in her career. She has been taking the world by storm, especially since her album Cuz I Love You put her in the spotlight when it was released this past May. One of her most astonishing accomplishments is “Truth Hurts” taking the number one spot on the Billboard Hot 100 chart on Sept. 7, 2019, two years after its initial release, marking her as the first black woman to hit number one this year. It is currently in its second week at number one on the chart, and it seems to be unreal to Lizzo.

Lizzo actually stated in an interview with Elle that she almost quit music when the song didn’t take off the way she expected it to. “I just felt like I was throwing music into the world and not even making a splash…I was crying in my room all day. I said, ‘If I stopped making music now, nobody would even fucking care.’”

Upon the recent success of the song, Lizzo spoke to People about what it means to her. “Now the song that made me want to quit is the song everyone’s falling in love with me for, which is such a testament to journeys: your darkest day turns into your brightest triumph.” 

Lizzo is continuing to smash the music scene with her album, which recently topped the charts at number four on the Billboard Hot 200 chart. She is having her best year, and it is inspiring to see a strong, black woman having such success when she thought she wouldn’t make after the original release of her debut single “Truth Hurts.”

Dorian Mayenschein is a non-binary senior at the University of Akron who majors in English while also minoring in Women's Studies. Their passions include pop culture, literature, social justice, LGBT rights and feminism as well as the Black Lives Matter movement. They hope to one day become a Senior Editor at a book publishing house in Chicago, Illinois and have people other than their aunts read their stories and support them.
Madeline Myers is a 2020 graduate of the University of Akron. She has a B.A. English with a minor in Creative Writing. At Her Campus, Madeline enjoys writing movie and TV reviews. Her personal essay “Living Room Saloon” is published in the 2019 issue of The Ashbelt. Madeline grew up in Zanesville, Ohio. She loves quoting comedians, reading James Baldwin, and sipping on grape soda. She fears a future run by robots but looks forward to the day when her stories are read by those outside of her immediate family.