This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Pop-singer, Halsey, was one of many woman who spoke at the 2018 Glamour Women of the Year Summit on November 11. The singer delivered a powerful poem called, “Inconvenient Woman,” which delivers a message to all woman to be an inconvenience.

The poem starts off with the characteristics of women and men, but the characteristics makes a man a genius and a woman just an inconvenience.

It leads into an example of a woman in business with a man, where he mistreats her. She wants to grow into something more in the company, but he just calls her an inconvenience.

Then it discusses a wife where her husband comes home. She’s just trying her hardest, but it doesn’t seem to be enough. He expresses every mistake his wife is making; how she isn’t pleasing him. Once again calling her an inconvenience.

She then wants to cut it to a woman who seemed to be a miracle, which almost seems to be a metaphor for herself. That no matter how her fame goes, somewhere along the line, isn’t it just an inconvenience?

She gives a few more “inconveniences” before asking the question, “Aren’t all these women just so inconvenient?” And then goes into how women shouldn’t have to feel bad for being an inconvenient, that we were put on this earth to go through challenges and we aren’t here to make life easier for anyone.

The singer begs her audience to be an inconvenience, which is something beautiful to take away from her powerful poem. 

If you’re interested in listening to the poem and following it word for word, Glamour has an article here for you to follow.

Arden Palmquist is a Senior at The University of Akron majoring in Public Relations. She enjoys blogging and posting on her Instagram.
Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.