The Importance of Kendrick Lamar’s Grammy Performance

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

If you missed the Grammy’s this year, you missed an epic night for lyrical genius Kendrick Lamar.

Along with his 7 nominations and 5 wins, his opening performance has been all the buzz.Iif you are a fan of Lamar’s you know that you’re always going to get more than you expected when he is performing. Whether a metaphoric poem of emotion or a political statement, he is know for being an amazing performer and the 2017 Grammy performance showcased just that. Lamar began his performance surrounded by men in army uniforms an American Flags while performing his song “XXX,” the statement “This is a satire” appears on the backdrop of the stage, bringing his message to the forefront.  

Next, the members of the iconic band, U2, join him on stage for a more dynamic performance. Later, there was satirically comical commentary from Dave Chapelle. Now to those who are unfamiliar with Lamar’s music, this performance was great because he was highly nominated and awarded. But for those who are avid fans of Lamar’s, and are well versed in the truths which are hidden in the lyrics of “XXX” and “DNA”, there is an understanding that this performance was more than just a typical Grammy performance.

Rather, it was an informative message about being black in America. Check out the performance for yourself!

Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.