This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

*Photo Taken by Author  

Growing up I always had a dream to go to school down south and become a southern belle. That all changed my junior year of high school when I actually started looking at possible schools to go to. Being so close to my mom and younger sister, it was so hard to leave them for my freshman year of college. I wish I could tell you that homesickness will go away. Now, being in my second year of college, I still get homesick.

I am from Pittsburgh, PA and decided to go to school only an hour and half away at the University of Akron. At the time, an hour and half seemed very manageable, but as the weeks went by and school started to pick up I found myself missing home more and more. I missed my family, my animals, and of course my beautiful city.

I want to start with saying this is a very normal thing and nothing will truly make missing home go away, but it’s important not to isolate yourself. Chances are there are tons of people who are also going through the same things you are. Be open about it because it is tough making the transition. Also be aware there are a lot of options for you to talk to someone. Visit your campus health center to talk to the counselors, talk to your RA, talk to your friends. Don’t be afraid to call your parents and tell them you miss them. The best thing that I did was  acknowledge how I was feeling. Once you open up about it you will feel better.

Some things that I do to keep my mind off of being homesick is to focus my time and energy on studying or doing homework. Another good idea is to take a mental health day and watch your favorite movies with your favorite ice cream or candy and a few friends.

The most important thing to know is that it is okay and normal to be homesick. Transitioning from seeing your family everyday to not seeing for 4-5 weeks at a time is hard. You’re not alone. Reach out and find your group and it will get better.  

I am a middle child of a single mom from Pittsburgh, PA. I am currently studying English as a major and Philosophy as a minor at the University of Akron. I love reading, writing, hiking, camping, doing community service, and hanging out with friends and family. I have a spunky kitty names Charlie who runs my life!