The Heartthrob of the Marvel Universe: Thor Ragnarok Review

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

I won’t lie, I’m a huge superhero nerd. You’ll find me watching every superhero TV show, at all the midnight premieres, having a countdown until the next one comes out, and geeking out the entire time while watching the movie. So, it was only fate that I did a movie review over Thor Ragnarok.

For starters, is it just me or is Marvel purposely making their superhero movies more comedic than normal? Compared to the first Thor movie, this one was full of jokes and lots of bright colors and catchy classic old music. Possibly because Guardians of the Galaxy was so successful with that type of theme, but I’m getting ahead of myself. Let’s take a step back and give what the plot of the movie is in a nutshell.

Imprisoned, Thor finds himself in a deadly gladiatorial contest against his co-worker, the Hulk. Thor must fight for survival and race against time to prevent his sister, the all-powerful Hela, from destroying him and the Asgardian civilization.

As Thor races against time, we meet characters familiar from other movies. I’m not just talking about the incredible Hulk, I’m talking about another superhero from the Marvel universe, Dr. Strange. We last see Dr. Strange talking to Thor in his own movie as the credits rolled. This exact scene from Dr. Strange continued in Thor Ragnarok. I may or may not have screamed with this dynamic cameo. Not only just that, but the mastermind behind every superhero around, Stan Lee, was the character that shaved Thor’s head.

Not to mention only the comedy, the camera effects were on point and the soundtrack was almost as good as both Guardians of the Galaxy soundtracks. Which, complete side note, I can’t wait for that mashup of a movie. It will happen, we don’t know when, but it will happen.

After seeing this iconic movie, I would give it a 4/5 due to the similarities between Guardians and what not. If you’re a superhero nerd just like me, you’ll enjoy it and all of the action packed scenes. If this isn’t your cup of tea, then you’re missing out.

Arden Palmquist is a Senior at The University of Akron majoring in Public Relations. She enjoys blogging and posting on her Instagram.