Four Bestsellers You Have To Read This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

I don’t know about you…but fall is the best time of the year to curl up with a cup of hot tea, a nice fluffy blanket, and a good book. The cool weather, changing leaves, and fuzzy socks makes the atmosphere feel relaxing and perfect for some light reading. In the midst of the chaos of the fall semester, take time for yourself and do some pleasure reading, rather than skimming your textbooks. Here are five bestsellers that are quick reads, but capture your mind and make you feel like you’re living in the character’s world.

Carve the Mark- Veronica Roth

Amazon Rating: 4/5

Veronica Roth, famous for her trilogy, Divergent, released the first book in a new series called Carve the Mark. This book won #1 New York Times bestseller, Wall Street Journal bestseller, USA Today bestseller, and #1 IndieBound bestseller. I have yet to read this book, but I have read nothing but good reviews raving about the suspenseful content involving a conflict within a dystopian community.

“Roth offers a richly imagined, often brutal world of political intrigue and adventure, with a slow-burning romance at its core.” —ALA Booklist

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child- JK Rowling and Jack Thorne

Amazon Rating: 4/5

J.K. Rowling continues her world-renowned story of Harry Potter, an orphan boy who discovered he was a wizard at 10-years-old. This story is nineteen years after he leaves Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, as his 10-year-old son, Albus, starts his first year at Hogwarts. Rather than this book being transformed into a film, the author decided to write a screenplay with Jack Thorne instead. This book is fantastic, and a pretty quick read!

Every Day- David Levithan

Amazon Rating: 4.5/5

David Levithan has pushed himself to new creative heights. He has written a captivating story that will fascinate readers as they begin to comprehend the complexities of life and love in A’s world, as A and Rhiannon seek to discover if you can truly love someone who is destined to change every day. A is someone that is moved into a different person’s body, and life, each and every day. This book is spectacular, mind blowing, and challenging.

“A story that is always alluring, oftentimes humorous and much like love itself— splendorous.” —Los Angeles Times

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children- Ransom Riggs

Amazon Rating: 4.5/5

I am sure you have all heard of Tim Burton’s major motion picture, and little do some know, this is a trilogy! Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children is just the first of three creepy tales of the peculiars.

“A tense, moving, and wondrously strange first novel. The photographs and text work together brilliantly to create an unforgettable story.”—John Green, New York Times best-selling author of The Fault in Our Stars

The links on each book will take you directly to Amazon if you want to purchase any of these. Enjoy your fall semester with a little bit of pleasure reading!

University of Akron English Education Major
Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.