mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Former Disney Star Jordan Pruitt Files Lawsuit Alleging Sexual Abuse

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Jordan Pruitt, who is a former Walt Disney music star and The Voice contestant, has filed a lawsuit against her former manager, Keith Thomas, alleging that he sexually abused her since she was only fourteen years old until her sixteenth birthday. In addition to the lawsuit against Thomas, she has also filed lawsuits against Hollywood Records and Walt Disney for neglecting to stop the abuse. She claims they allowed him to work with her without supervision, despite likely having known he was a sexual abuser.

On commenting on the lawsuits against Disney and Hollywood Records, Pruitt stated in an interview with Variety, “Unfortunately these companies are primarily concerned with sales, money, and charts. Too often they fall short of protecting the young talent that they are ‘supposed’ to be caretakers for. Time and time again we see people in positions of power fail us. I couldn’t be more disappointed in how Disney treats their underage talent like cash cows.” 

Pruitt went on to state, “I am standing up and speaking out not only for myself, but for the countless victims across the world who have never been given the opportunity for justice.”

According to Variety, the lawsuit claims that “Thomas groomed Pruitt for abuse, controlling her entire professional life, cutting off contact with boys her own age, and putting her down with negative comments about her looks and talents.” 

The suit goes on to claim that he, like many other abusers, would shower her with compliments and statements about how no one loved her like he did and their relationship was “special” and must remain a secret. The court documents have since been released to the public.

Pruitt is also planning on writing a book on the trauma titled Abuse Anonymous.

Dorian Mayenschein is a non-binary senior at the University of Akron who majors in English while also minoring in Women's Studies. Their passions include pop culture, literature, social justice, LGBT rights and feminism as well as the Black Lives Matter movement. They hope to one day become a Senior Editor at a book publishing house in Chicago, Illinois and have people other than their aunts read their stories and support them.
Madeline Myers is a 2020 graduate of the University of Akron. She has a B.A. English with a minor in Creative Writing. At Her Campus, Madeline enjoys writing movie and TV reviews. Her personal essay “Living Room Saloon” is published in the 2019 issue of The Ashbelt. Madeline grew up in Zanesville, Ohio. She loves quoting comedians, reading James Baldwin, and sipping on grape soda. She fears a future run by robots but looks forward to the day when her stories are read by those outside of her immediate family.