Red Roses Heart Cookie
Red Roses Heart Cookie
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Five Valentine’s Date Ideas That Aren’t Just Going Out to Dinner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

You and your partner’s love is anything but ordinary, so why would you settle for a regular Valentine’s Day? Whether this is your first February 14th together or your tenth, switching things up is important in keeping the flame burning. Here are 5 Valentine’s dates that aren’t just going out to dinner.

Music Night

Tired of getting into wrestling matches over the aux? This date night is a great idea for couples who prefer different music! Grab a bottle of wine (or your favorite soda) and make a playlist of music you think you and your partner could both vibe to. Get comfy, eat snacks and take turns playing songs off of your playlists. Before you know it, you’ll be jamming to the same music in the car! 

Host a Valentine’s Day After-Party

Who said Valentine’s day has to be one-on-one? If you are a couple who has a lot of couple-friends, consider throwing a Valentine’s day after-party. Have it start around 9, so couples have some time to do their own thing, and prepare games and/or treats for your guests to enjoy. Pinterest is full of ideas for fun games and themed desserts, and your friends will be thanking you for saving them from the after dinner, “Well, what now?”

Try an Escape Room

“Nancy Drew” it up this Valentine’s day at an escape room! With  “The Great Escape Room ” minutes from campus there is no excuse to settle for another dinner and movie date night. Pick from 3 room themes, Professor Moriarty’s game room, The President’s bunker and Sherlock Holmes’ Library, and begin testing your escape skills with your SO.

Adopt a Fish Together

Adopting a dog or cat may be a commitment you aren’t ready for, but co-parenting a fish can be a fun experience that won’t break the bank or cause too much stress. Hop in the car, drive to the closest pet store with your boo and spend the night enjoying the “adoption process.” Take your time checking out all the fish and, once you pick one, have some fun picking out a tank and decorations. Finally, decide on a name. Now you have a cute little reminder of a fun Valentine’s Day!

Baking Competition

Find a recipe you think that you and your boo can both pull off and have a competition to see who can make it better. Grab the ingredients, put on some intense music and get baking!  Smack talk encouraged.