Peanut Noodle Salad
Peanut Noodle Salad
Alex Frank / Spoon

Five Filipino Foods You Have to Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

In Filipino cuisine, we have a lot of meats and grains. Sometimes we get inspired by other
cultures that have connections to us and we change it up by using our spices or sauces. These are
just the few foods that many Filipino people love to eat and what I think should be recommended
for beginners.

Lechon – A roasted pig that is usually eaten on special occasions especially during fiestas.
Putting everything together is very time consuming and the expected outcome is for the pig to
come out extra crispy.

Lumpia – A Filipino version of egg rolls where the main ingredient consists of ground pork and
sometimes added with vegetables. They are also thinner than regular egg rolls.

Pancit – A dish that includes bihon noodles along with adding soy sauce, oyster sauce, garlic, fish
sauce, snow peas, calamansi, shredded chicken and shredded vegetables. Everyone is different
and prefers to add different shredded vegetables but the specific ones my mom uses are shredded
carrots, shredded cabbage and chopped up scallion.

Pandesal – The most common bread roll in the Philippines. It is described to be fluffy and
slightly sweet.

Puto – A rice cake where many prefer to eat it for dessert. A few different toppings people
choose can be cheese, salted egg or ube.

Chey C

Akron '24

Chey is in her junior year at Akron studying History along with having a minor in English. Activities she enjoys doing is traveling, shopping and hanging out with friends.