Style

Five Fashionable Face Masks to Go Back to College With in Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Disclaimer: I make no claims that these are medical masks or will prevent you from getting Covid-19. For guidelines on safety measures and precautions, please refer to the CDC’s guide.

If you’re like most college students, you’ve probably transferred to Zoom University this past year. Although things may look a little different, your style doesn’t have to. With many colleges planning to go back to mainly in-person classes in the fall, you may be wondering where to find cute face masks to wear around campus. Everyone has their own style with clothing, so why should face masks be any different? Here’s a list of five places where you can find fashionable masks to go with any outfit.

Aerie

I’ve been a big fan of Aerie for years – their products are always great and I love how inclusive their whole brand is. Recently, they’ve been selling adorable face masks with a pattern or color (and occasionally a sports team) for everyone. Aerie offers many different styles, including masks for training or exercising, gaiters, masks with matching scrunchies (the scrunchies even have a zipper pocket!), and even eye shields designed to look like your coolest pair of sunglasses. With so many styles and patterns to choose from, you’ll be walking onto campus feeling both safe and fabulous.

KITSCH

KITSCH is a woman-owned accessories brand that was started by Cassandra Thurswell in 2010. In the past year they have turned to selling face masks in addition to their accessories like scrunchies and hair clips. Many of their masks are sold in packages with multiple different patterns to play around with depending on what “look” you’re going for. From cheetah print, to flowers, to pink, there’s plenty of choices to keep you looking fresh in your classes.

Love is Project

The company Love Is Project was started by Chrissie Lam, and was actually featured on “Shark Tank” on January 15, 2021. Their original products were beaded bracelets made by women from the Maasai tribe in Kenya, but since the pandemic began, they have added face masks to their selection. They offer many different patterns and styles, including masks with elastic straps or tie-back options. With any of these fashionable masks, you’re sure to spread love and happiness around you.

Hate is a Virus

Hate is a Virus is a non-profit organization that started in April of last year in response to the rise of violence and hate crimes against AAPI (Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders) due to the pandemic. One of the reasons I love this mask is because when you purchase one (or a few for friends!),100% of the net profits go back to Hate is a Virus to help with educational resources to fight racism and hate. Although this mask is a little more on the pricey side (~$16.00 without tax), you’ll be looking good and feeling good while knowing your money went to a good cause in helping out the AAPI community.

Superlove

I’ve purchased merchandise from this website before, and I can say I was very happy with it. Superlove is an online shop that promotes kindness, compassion, and love with their traditional logo being the ILY (“I Love You”) sign in American Sign Language. They offer the DONY mask in multiple colors, and have many great reviews and happy customers. If you choose to wear this mask out, don’t forget to follow the message yourself with practicing kindness, compassion, and love with others around you!

With so many brands making masks now, there are many fashionable options out there to fit everyone’s style. In this list of shops you’ll find everything from pink floral masks, to minimalist masks for a cause. These are all great options to help you stay safe and make an entrance for your return to campus.

Abigail is a junior at the University of Akron and is majoring in English with a minor in Creative Writing. Outside of class, she enjoys obsessing over YA books, baking with her twin sister, and, of course, watching out for the latest Tik Tok trend.