Female Heroines From Fictional Worlds

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Do you ever think the male role in action movies is overpowering? We all want a good female heroine every once in awhile, especially one who is tied with a fictional world. Here’s three characters who deserve some credit that are pretty modern:

Most recent of them all, we’ve seen Wonder Woman make a big impact at the box office, receiving a rating of 92% on Rotten Tomatoes. This past summer Gal Gadot played Diana Prince, who clearly wasn’t the sidekick to Chris Pine’s character, Steve Trevor. As Wonder Woman’s first solo live action movie, no one knew what to expect, but from the looks of it most people liked what they saw. Gadot played a fierce role and made women everywhere proud. This character was truly one worth watching as she had her own morals and values while believing in what was right. The best part about it all was that she believed that mankind was truly good and worth saving, which drove her to help Trevor. I would say this role was played well by Gadot and is an inspiration to many girls and women. She even had a Barbie doll made after her, how awesome is that?

In 2016, we got to see Margot Robbie shine as Harley Quinn in Suicide Squad. This character was all over stores for merchandise and social media shortly after the film’s release. She also inspired many Halloween costumes the following October. The personality and background of this “villain” are too interesting to pass up. I mean what average person falls in love with the Joker while treating him at a psych ward? This couple was a big part in the movie, and Harley was a fan favorite. Robbie did a pretty great job, in my opinion, of portraying Harley’s wild side in her first live action movie appearance. She did such a good job, in fact, that the Joker and her are scheduled with Warner Brothers for their own film, after the release of Suicide Squad 2. Sadly, this won’t be until at least 2019. Harley has definitely evolved from just a sidekick to one of DC Comic’s best characters.

Can we take a second to reminisce on the Resident Evil franchise? It began way back in 2002, and finally ended last year with a total of six films, all with the same bad a** chick killing zombies and taking names. Alice, played by Milla Jovovich, wakes up one day to a world with no memory of her past, and is forced to fight in an apocalypse thanks to her former place of business, the Umbrella Corporation. Over the course of the movies, she makes new allies to fight with and travels to many different places. Alice is faced with new challenges each movie, including becoming a project of the corporation and being cloned, all of which she bounces back from, even stronger. If you ever got to choose someone to stick with you in a world full of zombies, she’s your woman.

Freshman at The University of Akron. Majoring in Early Childhood Education. Lover of music, clothes and dogs.