The Countdown to “Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil, and Vile” Begins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Hello my fellow true crime lovers, haven’t you heard the latest? The one and only Zac Efron is playing the charming serial killer, Ted Bundy. If you’re a dedicated true crime fan, you will understand the excitement that I have for this movie.

The trailer for Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile was released a few short weeks ago and the Internet has never been more entertaining since. The movie stars Zac Efron as Ted Bundy and Lily Collins as girlfriend, Liz Kendall. What most people don’t know is that the film is actually from her perspective as his longtime girlfriend, who had a difficult time wrapping her mind around the truth of the man.

For those of you who don’t know the history of the infamous Bundy, he was a rapist, kidnapper, necrophiliac, and serial killer in the ‘70s. He denied all of this for a decade and even escaped prison. But after years of evading the truth, the killer confessed to 30 murders that happened in several states. In 1989, Ted Bundy was executed by the electric chair.

As a fellow true crime lover, I find that the actor chosen to portray Bundy could not be more perfect. The whole essence of Bundy was that he was handsome, charming and the kind of man to take anyone’s life.

Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile premiered at Sundance on January 26th, just shortly after Netflix bought the distribution rights for roughly $9 million. You can read more news on the film here.

Arden Palmquist is a Senior at The University of Akron majoring in Public Relations. She enjoys blogging and posting on her Instagram.
Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.