absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision WYd PkCa1BY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Culture > News

Chrissy Teigen Says She Will Pay $100K Fine For Gymnast To Speak Up Against Larry Nassar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Since October, there has been an active investigation against a man by the name of Larry Nassar. He was the physician and athletic trainer for the USA Gymnastics national team, as well as the physician for the team at Michigan State University, where Nassar is an alum. Since 1994 there have been women coming forward about Nassar’s sexual abuse; however, MSU and USA Gymnastics officials ignored the concerns and continued letting Nassar practice medicine.

After many years of Nassar’s destruction in the lives of over a hundred girls, MSU relieves Nassar from his practices 2016, and he retires as the USA Gymnastics Medical Coordinator in 2014. Multiple lawsuits and several charges of federal child pornography have left Nassar with practically a lifetime in jail.

Following the standing of the Olympic medalist McKayla Maroney in October 2017, she received a $1.25 million settlement from USA Gymnastics after the organization heard of Nassar’s actions. The settlement included a nondisclosure agreement (NDA) with a $100,000 fine if she chose to speak at the sentencing about the abuse that she’d allegedly suffered. It is possible that this contract has already been broken because of her revelations in October.  

Supermodel, Chrissy Teigen does not want Maroney to have to worry about this fine for speaking out on an issue that has deeply affected her. Last Tuesday, Teigen tweeted that she would “be absolutely honored to pay” the $100,000 fine for Maroney. Teigen also calls Nassar a “serial monster” while questioning the “entire principle” of the fine.

Maroney is suing USA Gymnastics, U.S. Olympic Committee and Michigan State University, claiming that the non-disclosure agreement was illegal.

USA Gymnastics then made a statement saying, “USA Gymnastics has no sought and will not seek any money from McKayla Maroney for her brave statements made in describing her victimization and abuse by Larry Nassar, nor for any victim impact statements she wants to make to Larry Nassar at this hearing or at any subsequent hearings related to his sentencing.”

University of Akron English Education Major
Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.