This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

I have always loved Valentine’s Day. While it’s certainly an over-commercialized, sugary pink confection, it’s also a lot of fun regardless of whether you’re in a relationship or not. With the popularization of Galentine’s Day, there’s so much more love to celebrate, whether it be your significant other’s, your family’s, your friends’ or even your dog’s.

While celebrating V-Day is always fun, coming up with a gift for your partner or friend can be challenging. Do you want to go creative or traditional. Are you thinking lovey-dovey, boozy or unique? Throw in the wrench of being a financially challenged and resource-limited college student, and you might spend more time stressing over the perfect gift than actually spending time with your loved one.

For University of Akron students, there are plenty of fun and creative activities to indulge in so that everyone can find something to enjoy.

Consider checking out Happy Death Day 2U, showing at the historic Highland Square Theatre. Movies there are $5, and they offer affordable food and alcoholic beverages. The theater is located in the fun, hipster, college-student oriented Highland Square, a short drive from The University of Akron’s campus. You can pop into the record store, stop by Mary Coyle’s for some ice cream or the warm and inviting Angel Falls for coffee, tea and baked goods. There are plenty of food options in Highland Square, as well, ranging from casual dining at Zub’s, a popular sandwich place and bar, to more upscale at Aladdin’s, a healthy Lebanese restaurant with vegan and vegetarian options.

If you’re a big Oscars fan, you can check out the Nightlight Cinema on North High Street, which shows unique films not often shown elsewhere. Currently the Nightlight is showing Cold War, a romantic drama set in 1950’s Europe, as well as Oscar nominated short films. You can grab ice cream afterwards, right next door at Chill, which has delicious and unique flavors—and takes All Campus dollars.

A much loved option for dinner in Akron is Luigi’s, an Italian restaurant famed for being an Akron institution with great pizza. Just get there early and with cash because lines often wrap around the restaurant.

If you’re in the mood for a slightly pricier dinner option, consider Sakura Sushi in Montrose Center. For $60 you can get the love boat for two and if you’re on a double date or out with your three besties, drop $100 for a love boat for four filled with nigiri, sashimi, sushi, miso soup and green salad.

If you spend a lot of time in the Polsky building or you live near Main Street, consider heading over to the ice skating rink at Lock 3 for some inexpensive frozen fun at $4 for a skate rental. There are plenty of delicious food options in the area, too. I really enjoy Lockview, a gourmet grilled cheese place across the street from Lock 3, and Pad Thai, an Asian fusion restaurant with great pad thai (a traditional Thai noodle dish), right down the road. If you’re not in the mood for dinner, you can always grab some chocolate, candy and nuts at the historic Peanut Shoppe also across from Lock 3.

If you don’t want to leave Akron’s campus, the Student Rec and Wellness Center is having a partner yoga event on February 13 from 6pm-7pm. You don’t need any experience or supplies; you just have to pay $10 if your partner isn’t an Akron student. If you want a more boozy experience, grab a bottle of wine and head over to the Sip and Stretch event at Skyfit Studies on South Main Street.

If yoga isn’t your cup of tea, you could consider heading to the Akron Art Museum, which is free every Thursday. The Akron Art Museum, while small, is an impressive contemporary art museum with gorgeous glass architecture. If you’re willing to spend some money, the museum is offering a Valentine’s Day Tour of the museum to see the romance behind the paintings. Register now to get your $10 ticket per couple!

A fun, cheaper option is to check out the laser lights at the Akron Zoo from 6:30pm-8:00pm for $5. It’s a fun and unique opportunity to see the zoo and the animals at night.

Another free and fun option for animal lovers is to go to One of a Kind Pet Rescue, a no-kill animal shelter with cats and dogs on West Market Street. The beautiful and large shelter has cat rooms galore and playpens with puppies. It a great stress reliever that also works to socialize the animals. This awesome pet rescue is also selling valentines for the pets to fundraise. Consider donating money to this awesome shelter and buying the valentines or even taking a new friend home. However, be careful with falling in love and adopting an animal that you’re not prepared to take care of for the rest of its life.

If you’re looking for a creative date night idea, the Akron Haunted Schoolhouse and Laboratory is having a Valentine’s Day themed haunted house event called Cupid’s Revenge on February 15 and 16. The tickets are $20 online and $25 in person. There will be a cocktail party after the haunted house, too, and some freebies.

There’s plenty to do in Akron for Valentine’s Day by yourself, with a friend or a partner. Even if you don’t go out, treat yourself to your favorite food, some candy or your favorite movie. After all, the most important love is the love you have for yourself. Happy Valentine’s Day, Her Campus readers!

Emily Janikowski, otherwise known as Em, can be found usually lurking in the depths of the Polsky building as a writing tutor, and when she isn't there, she is curled up in bed binge watching Law & Order SVU. Her passion lies in changing the world, and she hopes to accomplish this through majoring in social work.