This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

As deadly flu statistics continue to ravish the United States, the Centers for Disease Control and Protection (CDC) are preparing to scale back epidemic prevention programs overseas by 80%.

Nearly four years after the Ebola virus outbreak in Western Africa exposed the importance of global health management, the agency has revealed its plans to cut prevention initiatives in 39 out of 49 countries abroad. These programs have been part of a global security enterprise aimed at training workers in outbreak detection and improving emergency response systems within nations where epidemics are most likely. As of the past year, the programs have proved effective in that eight partnering countries have expanded disease surveillance systems and 17 nations have begun training in epidemiology.

Following the 2014 Ebola outbreak, Congress backed a five-year emergency funding budget to help fight and contain the spread of the disease. The deal provided roughly $600 million to the CDC in order for the agency to implement prevention initiatives within nations at risk of epidemics. The money allotted to the CDC is on track to deplete by September 2019, and officials are not confident that the Trump administration will continue funding resources.

According to the Wall Street Journal, the CDC began notifying staffers abroad to reduce activities and the decision has since created frustration and worry among health officials. Former CDC director, Dr. Tom Frieden, says that the decision could not be worse. “Not only would this set back scientific, technical and diplomatic relationships that have taken years to develop, it would significantly increase the chance an epidemic will spread without our knowledge and endanger lives in our country and around the world,” he commented.

With about $150 million left in the one-time package allotted by Congress, the CDC plans to continue maximizing its public health efforts while also preparing for what may be one of its largest scale backs yet.

Learn more about the CDC’s national and international efforts by visiting https://www.cdc.gov.

Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.