Breaking Records and Taking Names: How Billie Eilish Swept the Grammys

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Billie Eilish broke records at the Grammy Awards on January 26, 2020 when she became the first woman and the youngest artist in the history of the Grammys to win all four awards from the major categories in the same year, something that has only been done once before in 1981 by a man named Christopher Cross. In total, the 18 year old artist took five home of the six Grammy Awards she was nominated for.

Born Billie Eilish Pirate Baird O’Connell, Billie is an alternative pop artist who started releasing music when she was only thirteen years old with the 2016 release of Ocean Eyes on the music-sharing platform SoundCloud, followed by the subsequent release of her 2017 EP “Smile At Me,” which made her a kind of overnight sensation. Her debut album “When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?” is certified platinum and has earned her numerous awards, including 2 AMAs and three VMAs. She is often praised for the breathy tone of her voice and the experimental sound of her music. 

Billie Eilish won Best New Artist, competing against notable artists such as Lizzo and Lil Nas X, whose remix of his song “Old Town Road” with Billy Ray Cyrus went viral last year, becoming one of the most streamed songs ever. Winning Song of the Year for her track “Bad Guy,” the singer-songwriter beat some of the most notable tracks of the year, such as “Lover” by Taylor Swift and “Truth Hurts” by Lizzo.

Album of the Year also went to Billie Eilish for “When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?” Some favorite competitors were “Cuz I Love You” by Lizzo and “Thank U, Next” by Ariana Grande. Record of the Year also went to Billie Eilish’s “Bad Guy” who won against “7 Rings” by Ariana Grande and “Old Town Road” by Lil Nas X.

This was such a monumental year for Billie Eilish who was, and still is, at the top of her game. Beyond that, the fact that a young female artist could sweep the four major categories of the most important award show in music paves the way for young women pursuing a career in music and shows that talent is recognized, no matter your age.

Dorian Mayenschein is a non-binary senior at the University of Akron who majors in English while also minoring in Women's Studies. Their passions include pop culture, literature, social justice, LGBT rights and feminism as well as the Black Lives Matter movement. They hope to one day become a Senior Editor at a book publishing house in Chicago, Illinois and have people other than their aunts read their stories and support them.