This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

My family’s Thanksgiving dinner contains the traditional turkey or ham as the main course with side salads, cranberry pudding, buttery dinner rolls, and bean casserole. I remember one year, my aunt’s friend baked large sweet potatoes for Thanksgiving. We would finish off these delicious courses with desserts. One of my favorite dessert dishes was my grandma’s apple crisp.

My grandma didn’t have a recipe that was passed down from generation to generation. She usually just used some fresh apples and faithfully followed the directions on the box of apple crisp. Nevertheless, her humble contribution to our family meals has always been one of my favorites since I was little. I was often seen heaping up the dessert onto my plate or in my glass bowl.

I enjoyed the softened, slightly crunchy apples on the bottom of the dish mixed in with the richer crispy top. Even when my grandma offered to add some whip cream to my portion, I was happy with the dish’s taste without any extra sweetness. 

Reflecting back on each of our holidays and other family meals together, I have noticed how many times that dish was present. My grandma knew how I would look forward to her apple crisp, and would make it when I came to visit. Even if my family brought takeout, she would always have apple crisp and other food to provide for us. 

My grandma is a natural giver when it comes to finances, time, hospitality, or gifts. She doesn’t always have the capacity to give a lot as she has gotten older, but apple crisp is still one of the main dishes she serves. It is a great reminder of her love and thoughtfulness toward me in this season of giving and thankfulness.

Emily is excited to be a part of the Akron chapter of Her Campus. She is majoring in English and minoring in Converged Media Studies. She is also working toward a Certificate in Professional Social Media. Emily enjoys drinking tea, decorating, and spending time with her family. Her favorite motto / quote to live by is Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."