This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

First and foremost, welcome to The University of Akron! UA has so much to offer from its interesting classes, fun activities, amazing organizations and events, to all the delicious food. 

Yes, there are a ton of options on campus to cure all of your food cravings. It is all fun and games eating at Rob’s every weekend and spending all of your dining dollars at Chick-Fil-A and Starbucks, until midway through the semester when you will definitely need a break from your regular orange chicken with rice or the spicy chicken sandwich. And you will definitely need to find another place to study other than the Student Union Starbucks. 

Lucky for us, Akron has a TON of excellent gems that are all within walking distance from campus. So hop on the DASH, take the Roo Express, or stroll downtown and you will be bound to run into some of these places!

A Walk in the Park Cafe 

This is a locally-owned coffee shop that is just so cute. You walk in and instantly feel like you’re on another planet. Local artwork and lights are hung all over the place. There are tables for work and couches for lounging with friends! The coffee is good, but their food is even better!

Lockview

This one is by far my favorite restaurant in Akron. Known all over the city as having the best gourmet grilled cheeses, it is really easy to walk to, fun to eat, and affordable! 

You can order the classic grilled cheese, or you can be adventurous and try some of their crazy flavors like the number eight that has goat cheese and sprouts! My personal favorite is the number twelve– mashed potatoes and gravy! 

Compass Coffee

Now this one isn’t technically locally owned. While Compass Coffee originated in Washington D.C., it has made a huge impact on the city of Akron. They use only the best coffee grounds that are ethically and sustainably sourced. They roast their coffee in small batches to ensure freshness and collaborate with a local organization called The Well, which is dedicated to creating affordable living and a thriving economy in Akron. By serving the community, they help restore the value and dignity into the lives of the people who live here. 

Diamond Deli

If you’re looking for a deli type of place, then look no further than the Diamond Deli. It has sandwiches, desserts, soups and salads! Imagine all of the pastrami and corned beef you could want! It is this cute little deli that puts you in another world! Would highly recommend this one!

Nervous Dog Cafe

Last but not least is Nervous Dog Cafe, another one of Akron’s finest coffee shops. It’s very small so you’ll have to get there early to snag a seat, but the cool atmosphere and the scrumptious coffee are worth it! I highly recommend Nervous Dog if you need a place to do homework away from the noisy campus coffee shops!

I am a middle child of a single mom from Pittsburgh, PA. I am currently studying English as a major and Philosophy as a minor at the University of Akron. I love reading, writing, hiking, camping, doing community service, and hanging out with friends and family. I have a spunky kitty names Charlie who runs my life!