Action On Climate Change Can’t Wait

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

In April 2016, the United Nations held its Framework Convention on Climate Change during which 195 UNFCCC members signed an agreement to mitigate global warming emissions. Just weeks ago, President Trump announced plans to withdraw the United States from the famed Paris Agreement.

As this administration makes clear its refusal to address climate change, with proposed budget cuts that all but eliminate agencies like the EPA and other government-based environmental science programs, a growing number of states, cities, and individuals are re-dedicating themselves to upholding environmental protections.

In response to Trump’s claim during the announcement that he was “elected to represent the citizens of Pittsburgh, not Paris” (a city which Hillary Clinton actually carried in the November election), Democratic Mayor Bill Peduto pushed back against the idea of forsaking environmental initiatives. “As the Mayor of Pittsburgh, I can assure you that we will follow the guidelines of the Paris Agreement for our people, our economy & future.” he stated in a tweet.

Since then, Mayor Peduto has not been alone in this sentiment. Commitments to the Paris climate accords have poured in from businesses, universities, governors, and more, leading to the creation of the United States Climate Alliance. The “We Are Still In” coalition consists of more than 1,000 members pledging to honor the targets and guidelines of the Paris Agreement.

Governor David Ige of Hawaii has been one of the most vocal and active proponents of facing climate change head-on, going as far as signing legislation into law that officially aligns Hawaii with the goals of the Agreement. “We are especially aware of the limits of our natural environment,” Ige said in a statement. “That is why Hawaii is united in its political leadership on tackling climate change.

The Trump administration’s obsession with reviving coal and other outdated industry jobs is not only a physical threat to our environment, but an economic delusion as well. The Department of Energy’s 2017 Energy Employment Analysis found that 2.2 million Americans work in energy efficiency, with clean energy job growth outnumbering coal and gas by significant margins. It makes little sense to promise investment in industries on decline while the future of clean energy is waiting on our doorstep.

More so, a reluctance to adhere to the principles of global and national climate initiatives only creates a greater distance between our country and those nations driving clean energy forward. As an unlikely ally of clean energy, China has become the world leader in renewable energy, alongside several other nations committing to renewable development. With investment in clean energy growing, countries are seeing increases in job numbers and infrastructure improvement build up their nation from within. As the U.S. takes a back seat to this investment in a sustainable future, we continue to diminish our standing as global leaders who prioritize progress.

Despite frustrating circumstances, there remains hope in resistance. In addition to groups in the U.S. allying themselves with the Paris Agreement, citizens have the power to vote in every election at the local, state, and federal level by supporting candidates who are tough on climate change. Voting is one of the most powerful tools we have in a democracy, and doing a little homework on a candidate’s position on this issue will help illuminate whether or not this representative cares about one of our most pressing issues. Additionally, volunteering within your community with organizations such as Keep Akron Beautiful or participating in large-scale, activist-based demonstrations like the People’s Climate March are ways to have a direct impact.

The bottom line is that our Earth is our only home, and if we treat it carelessly, we will have nothing left. The environment doesn’t care what political party you are from or how much money you have; it responds to a balanced and protected climate. The rolling green hills and clear blue oceans that we’ve all enjoyed in our lifetimes should not have to be some mythical rarity for future generations, and to prevent that from ever happening, it is imperative that we act now. 

Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.