This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Nothing is better on a brisk fall day than staying inside, cooking something warm, and smelling all of the delicious scents that comes with the season of autumn. Cooking with things like apples and pumpkins becomes a very common thing during this time of the year, but there are also some delicious meals that simply warm your soul. Here are eight of our favorite recipes for the fall season:

Homemade Apple Cider

Ingredients

for 6 servings

• 4 granny smith apples, sliced

• 4 red delicious apples, sliced

• 1 orange, sliced

• 1 ½ tablespoons whole allspice

• 1 ½ tablespoons whole clove

• 3 cinnamon sticks

• 8 cups water

Preparation

1. Place fruit and spices into a slow cooker.

2. Add 8 cups of water.

3. Cook on high heat for 3-4 hours.

4. Uncover the slow cooker, and mash the softened fruit with a potato masher.

5. Cover again and cook on low for 1-2 hours.

6. Strain out fruit and spices from the slow cooker into a cheesecloth in a bowl.

7. Wait about 20-30 minutes for the cheesecloth to cool. Squeeze out cider from cheesecloth into the bowl. Pour the cider back into the slow cooker.

8. Serve warm.

Crack Chicken Noodle Soup

Ingredients

• 3 cups cooked chicken, chopped

• 8 oz. spaghetti noodles, uncooked

• 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated

• 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

• 1/2 yellow onion, diced

• 2 carrots, diced

• 2 stalks celery, diced

• 2 tablespoons olive oil

• 1 (32 oz.) package low-sodium chicken broth

• 1 (10.75 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup

• 1 cup half-and-half

• 1 (1 oz.) package dry ranch seasoning mix

• kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste

Preparation

1. Heat olive oil in a large stock pot over medium-high heat and sauté onion, carrot and celery until softened. Season with salt and pepper.

2. Add dry ranch mix and cook for 1 minute, stirring until veggies are evenly coated, then add chicken broth and chicken soup.

3. Stir together and mix in spaghetti, bacon and chicken, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for 15 minutes, or until noodles are cooked and veggies are tender, then stir in cheddar cheese and half-and-half.

4. Cook for another 3-5 minutes, then serve and enjoy.

Tomato Basil Soup

Ingredients

for 8 servings

• 1 tablespoon oil

• 1 onion, chopped

• 1 stalk celery, chopped

• 3 cloves garlic, minced

• 1 teaspoon salt

• ¼ teaspoon pepper

• 2 tablespoons tomato paste

• ¼ cup fresh basil

• 28 oz crushed tomato, 2 cans

• 6 cups vegetable broth

• ½ teaspoon baking soda

• 2 sprigs fresh thyme

Preparation

1. Combine oil, onion, celery, and garlic over medium heat in a large pot. Sauté for 3 minutes until onions are translucent.

2. Add salt, pepper, tomato paste, basil, crushed tomatoes, broth, baking soda, and thyme. Bring to a boil.

3. Lower heat and cover, simmering for 15 minutes.

4. Uncover and remove thyme.

5. Use an immersion or countertop blender to blend the soup until smooth.

6. Allow to cool 2 minutes and serve topped with basil.

Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup

Ingredients

for 6 servings

• 2 lb squash, peeled, deseeded, roughly chopped

• 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped

• 4 cloves garlic, peeled

• olive oil, a drizzle

• 3 cups vegetable broth

• ½ teaspoon ginger

• ½ teaspoon cumin

• ½ teaspoon coriander

• ½ teaspoon paprika

• ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper

• 1 ½ teaspoons sea salt

• ¼ teaspoon black pepper

• ½ teaspoon fresh thyme

• ¼ cup reduced fat coconut milk

Preparation

1. Chop squash in half and peel. Then chop into smaller sections and remove seeds.

2. Place squash pieces, onion, and garlic into a slow cooker.

3. Drizzle with olive oil and add vegetable broth. Sprinkle over ginger, cumin, coriander, paprika, cayenne, sea salt, and pepper.

4. Place lid on slow cooker and cook on high heat for 4 hours.Using a hand blender, blend the ingredients until smooth.

5. Note: If you do not have a hand blender, you can transfer the ingredients to a regular blender or food processor, just be careful when blending hot liquids!.

6. Add thyme and coconut milk and blend for a few more seconds until incorporated.

Easy Butter Chicken

Ingredients

for 4 servings

• 2 lb chicken breast, cubed

• salt, to taste

• pepper, to taste

• 2 teaspoons chili powder, divided

• ½ teaspoon turmeric

• 6 tablespoons butter, divided

• 1 ½ cups yellow onion, diced

• 3 teaspoons garam masala

• 1 teaspoon cumin

• 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

• 1 tablespoon ginger, grated

• 3 cloves garlic, minced

• 1 cinnamon, 3 inch (8 cm) stick

• 14 oz tomato sauce

• 1 cup water

• 1 cup heavy cream

• rice, for serving

• fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish

Preparation

1. In a large bowl, season the chicken breast with salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon of chili powder, and the teaspoon of turmeric. Let sit for 15 minutes to marinate.

2. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large pot over medium heat. Brown the chicken, then remove from the pot.

3. Melt another 2 tablespoons of butter in the pot, then add the onion, garam masala, remaining teaspoon of chili powder, the cumin, ginger, garlic, cayenne, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Cook until fragrant.

4. Add the tomato sauce and bring to a simmer.

5. Add the water and cream and return to a simmer.

6. Return the chicken to the pot, cover, and simmer for another 10-15 minutes.

7. Stir in the last 2 tablespoons of butter and season with more salt and pepper to taste.

8. Serve the chicken over rice and garnish with cilantro.

One-Pan Fall Chicken Meal

Ingredients

for 2 servings

• 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided

• 3 cloves garlic, minced

• 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped

• 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped

• 1 tablespoon fresh sage, finely chopped

• 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs

• ½ teaspoon salt

• ½ teaspoon pepper

• 1 sweet potato, cubed

• 1 lb brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved

• ½ red onion, chopped

• 4 slices bacon, chopped

• salt, to taste

• pepper, to taste

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).

2. In a plastic zip-top bag add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, garlic, thyme, rosemary, and sage.

3. Place the chicken thighs on top and season with salt and pepper.

4. Close the bag and massage to coat the chicken evenly. Refrigerate.

5. On a sheet pan, place the chopped sweet potato, Brussels sprouts and red onion.

6. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.

7. Place the chicken thighs on top of the vegetables and sprinkle with chopped bacon.

8. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F (75°C).

Paprika Herb Roasted Carrots

Ingredients

for 4 servings

• 4 carrots

• 2 tablespoons oil

• ¼ cup Chopped fresh parsley

• 2 teaspoons paprika

• 1 teaspoon salt

• 1 teaspoon pepper

Preparation

1. Preheat the oven to 400°F (200ºC).

2. Trim the carrots, then slice on the diagonal into ½ inch thick coins.

3. Transfer the carrots to a baking sheet and add the oil, parsley, paprika, salt, and pepper. Toss to coat.

4. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the carrots are tender. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.

Pot Roast with Mashed Cauliflower

Ingredients

for 4 servings

Pot Roast

• 1 ½ lb chuck roast

• salt, to taste

• pepper, to taste

• 1 tablespoon oil

• 1 white onion, diced

• 4 carrots, sliced 2 inch (5 cm) long

• 2 cloves garlic, minced

• 2 cups beef broth

• 2 tablespoons flour

Mashed Cauliflower

• 1 cauliflower, cut into florets

• 1 cup beef broth

• salt, to taste

• pepper, to taste

• 1 clove garlic, minced

• 1 tablespoon sour cream

• fresh chives, for garnish

Preparation

1. Pat the chuck roast dry with paper towels. Season on all sides with salt and pepper.

2. Put the Instant Pot on “Saute”. Once it says “Hot”, add the oil.

3. When the oil is shimmering, add the chuck roast. Sear the meat until brown, about 3-5 minutes per side.

4. Add the onion, carrots, and beef broth to the pot. Mix around until evenly distributed.

5. Set the pressure knob to “Sealing” and close the lid until it beeps. Tip: Closing the lid can be tricky. Have the pressure knob at 11 o’clock and turn right.

6. Select “Manual” and increase to 50 minutes. It will say “On” in a few seconds. Note: the Instant Pot will need to warm up for 5-10 minutes. Steam will be released and a few minutes later, the time will start counting down.

7. After the time has expired, let the pot roast rest in the pot for 10 minutes. It will count up and read “L 0:10”.

8. Using a towel or mit, release the pressure knob from “Sealing” to “Venting”. After the steam has been released, carefully take out the roast and veggies and transfer to a plate or cutting board, only leaving the liquid in the pot. Cover the roast and veggies with foil.

9. Set the Instant Pot to “Saute” and once the liquid comes to a boil, add the flour. Whisk until mixed in and sauce has thickened, about 1-2 minutes.

10. Hit “Cancel” and remove the pot. Pour the sauce into another small bowl and cover to keep warm. Then clean out the Instant Pot.

11. Place the cauliflower florets in the pot. Pour in the beef broth.

12. Seal the lid and set the pressure knob to “Sealing”.

13. Select “Manual” and set time to 5 minutes.

14. Once time is up, using a towel or mit, release the pressure knob from “Sealing” to “Venting”. After steam has been released, carefully remove pot and dump out the liquid.

15. Using a potato masher or fork, mash the cauliflower until smooth.

16. Add the salt, pepper, garlic, and sour cream. Stir until everything is combined.

17. Serve with the pot roast and gravy.

Mouth watering yet? Ours too! Time to getting cooking and enjoy!

Hi! :) I am a student at the University of Akron, Akron, OH, but originally from Sharpsville, PA. I am double majoring with English and Adolescent-to-Young-Adult Education with Integrated Language Arts. I love sparkly things, my sisters, traveling, and having fun!
Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.