This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

The United States finally decided to respond to the COVID-19 crisis and you know what that means. You’re officially quarantined in your home with a ton of time on your hands. You may have even lost your job due to the safety risk, unless you’re an essential business of course. What do you turn to? Netflix or YouTube? The latter is my preference because there is constantly new content. But honestly, there are some shows on YouTube that are better than most of what is currently on Netflix. Here some of Youtube channels I recommend to keep you busy during quarantine:

Buzzfeed Unsolved Network (BUN)

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve likely heard of Buzzfeed Unsolved. The majority of the traffic for Buzzfeed can likely be attributed to the shows “Buzzfeed Unsolved: True Crime” and “Buzzfeed Unsolved: Supernatural.” These shows involve some hilarious banter between the two co-hosts, Ryan Bergara and Shane Madej. Something that really sets “Supernatural” apart is that it involves a hard-core believer, Ryan, and a skeptic, Shane, hunting ghosts and bantering about the evidence the whole time. If you want to get a good laugh and learn about some true crime stories—or watch Ryan Bergara be terrified while hunting ghosts and demons—you have to check out their respective shows.

Watcher

Watcher is a channel created by Ryan Bergara, Shane Madej and Steven Lim who all left Buzzfeed to pursue their own independent company. There is something for everyone on this channel as they have 7 different shows that rotate every Friday, so if you get an episode of “Puppet History” one Friday—my personal favorite show on their channel—then you will get an episode of “Spooky Smalltalk” the next week. They have shows that connect to cooking and other cultures, shows about tourism, interviews in haunted attractions, history told by a puppet named the Professor, a ranking show, etc. Their episodes are so entertaining, and if you really want to kill some time while you’re bored out of your mind in this quarantine, you definitely have to watch some of their shows.

Try Guys

The Try Guys is a comedy channel created by Keith Habersberger, Ned Fulmer, Zach Kornfeld and Eugene Lee Yang who all left their jobs at Buzzfeed to pursue their own independent company. Their content is really about four guys trying new things, specifically things that other people, especially men, would never ever do. They have fun videos about testing the legal alcohol limit as well as more informative content, like their old age series or their DUI series. They really are trying to fight back against toxic masculinity and bring important issues to light in a super entertaining way, and honestly if you just want to get a good laugh, you have to watch some of their videos.

Girl Ship TV

Girl Ship TV is a channel originally created by ex-Buzzfeed Producer and Script Writer Amanda Holland that is centered around “content made for queer women by queer women.” They are the originators of the trend “Lesbians Watch” and all of their content is centered around queer women. They make podcasts, shows, short films and they react to LGBT movies, TV shows, musicians, etc. If you want to watch something that is intrinsically about the queer community, you have to watch some of their videos. Their podcast, “Are Straight People okay?” has a video feed that is to die for, so you definitely should check that out.

Rose and Rosie

Rose and Rosie are a married comedic duo based out of England who make improvisational comedy content, so their whole vibe is very conversational and relaxed. Their most popular series at the minute is “Lez Confess” in which their viewers submit their lesbian confessions and they read them out loud, sometimes for a laugh and sometimes to give advice, which is reflective of their entire channel. Their content is designed to make you laugh whilst simultaneously giving you advice, whether you asked for it or not. If you love improv comedy and queer content, you definitely have to watch their videos.

Harmony Nice

Harmony Nice is a YouTuber who is most famous for making content about Wicca and Witchcraft. She refers to herself as her viewers’ resident “Fairy Gaymother,” and in addition to the content she makes about Wicca, she also makes videos about mental health, fashion and unsolved mysteries. If you are interested in Wicca, she has two series all about it, “Enchanted Endeavors” and “Enchanted Spellwork,” and if you just want to sit down, have a cup of tea and watch YouTube videos, she is definitely a creator you need to keep your eye on.

MacDoesIt

His videos are a freaking trip. Machaizelli Kahey, otherwise known as MacDoesIt, is a comedic YouTuber who always has videos that kind of seem like an acid trip. They are a mess but in a good way, if that makes any sense. He rose to prominence with the release of his series “Reacting to Homophobia” as he is a gay man and as such makes a lot of videos about LGBTQ issues. He is probably one of the funniest people on YouTube at the minute. You just never know what to expect from this man. He can have a video up one day in which he is reacting to red carpet fashion and then the next day have a video up about turning himself into a bratz doll. It’s all kind of crazy and a hot mess but if you want to get a good laugh, you have to watch his videos, especially the series, “Reacting to Homophobia.” It’s fantastic.

Dorian Mayenschein is a non-binary senior at the University of Akron who majors in English while also minoring in Women's Studies. Their passions include pop culture, literature, social justice, LGBT rights and feminism as well as the Black Lives Matter movement. They hope to one day become a Senior Editor at a book publishing house in Chicago, Illinois and have people other than their aunts read their stories and support them.
Madeline Myers is a 2020 graduate of the University of Akron. She has a B.A. English with a minor in Creative Writing. At Her Campus, Madeline enjoys writing movie and TV reviews. Her personal essay “Living Room Saloon” is published in the 2019 issue of The Ashbelt. Madeline grew up in Zanesville, Ohio. She loves quoting comedians, reading James Baldwin, and sipping on grape soda. She fears a future run by robots but looks forward to the day when her stories are read by those outside of her immediate family.