This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

So, you’ve finished your grocery shopping and completed the necessary errands so that you don’t have to leave the house for a few good weeks. You’re just doing your part to quell COVID-19 and practice social distancing. But…now what? Many of us are still feeling “bored in the house” and if you’re living alone then you’re probably “in the house bored” and alone, missing your friends—I know I am. So here are a handful of fun ways that you can pass the time and help you to keep your spirits up!

Clean Your Room

I know it may seem silly, but my motto has always been “a clean room is a happy room.” And not only will cleaning your room pass the time, it will make you feel better. Keeping your room clean and organized and even making your bed will set you up for more positive vibes. With all the clutter and mess gone, things seem less chaotic and crazy and it’s something you have control over.

Meditate

This one was tough at first for me, but I learned that even 10 minutes a day is a doable practice. Research has shown that meditation can be a tool to help quiet the mind, reduce stress and symptoms of anxiety, improve sleep and mental performance among many other positive things. Now, during a time of great stress, it’s important to stay calm and not lose our minds over the fact that the tofu is now mysteriously missing from my—our fave grocery stores! The best way to start is to sit or lie comfortably, taking deep breaths in through the nose and out through the mouth. You can even use a count, for example, breathing in for a count of 4 and breathing out 8.

‘Affirm Your Goals’ Activity

Affirmations are a really great way to start your day. Continuing to focus on your goals and desires for the future and for who you wish to be is a great way to stay motivated while we wait for the planet to open to the public again. For this activity you’ll need some paper, markers or coloring pencils or even paint, and some tape, glue or tacks. Write down your affirmation or goal boldly on the paper and decorate it how you wish. You can hang this up on your walls or even above your ceiling where you can see it first thing when you wake up and last thing before you go to bed! Waking up to affirmi your dreams will put a smile on your face before you even get out of bed.

Play Snapchat Games

I recently discovered after finally giving in and getting my first account, that Snapchat has some really fun filters that also double as games. Send a selfie to your friend and they too can join in on the fun. Currently, Snapchat has a fun quarantine game, a travel game to test your knowledge of countries, a game to test your movie knowledge, and a cute animal checker game.

Listen to New Music

Now is a great time to check out all the new music and artists on the scene right now. There’s so much good music being shared. You never know who your new fave artist or song might be!

Madeline Myers is a 2020 graduate of the University of Akron. She has a B.A. English with a minor in Creative Writing. At Her Campus, Madeline enjoys writing movie and TV reviews. Her personal essay “Living Room Saloon” is published in the 2019 issue of The Ashbelt. Madeline grew up in Zanesville, Ohio. She loves quoting comedians, reading James Baldwin, and sipping on grape soda. She fears a future run by robots but looks forward to the day when her stories are read by those outside of her immediate family.