5 Vegas Destinations for Vacationers Under 21

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Las Vegas, also known as Sin City, is most famous for its gambling and drinking activities, which both require you to be 21 or older. This made a Vegas trip seem unconventional to me for a family vacation but when I visited in the summer of 2020, I learned that there was plenty in store for me to do. Here are several family-friendly enjoyable activities if you are under the age of 21.  

The High Roller

The High Roller is a gigantic ferris wheel that goes up to 550 feet. The seats are in a large bubble-like feature that can fit the whole family. The ride boasts a view of the nightlife going on in Vegas. Hours of operation are from 4PM to 12AM on Mondays to Thursdays while Fridays to Sundays operate from 12PM to 12AM. To order tickets, click here.

Mandalay Bay

Mandalay Bay was quite pricey prior to the COVID-19 outbreak but the hotel comes with many features worthy of a high price. Rooms can include a gazing view, cozy beds, a spacious jacuzzi and access to the pool areas behind the hotel. Staying at Mandalay was a once-in-a-lifetime chance for me. It was the best place I’ve ever stayed at. 

Both outside and inside of the hotel include photo-ops for you and your family. For a fun family excursion, check out the Shark Reef Aquarium located in the hotel. Though it is not included with the room, the price ranges as low as $20. To get exact prices you will need to call the front desk. To know more about what sea life you can find at Shark Reef Aquarium visit this website.

Gondola Ride at the Venetian

The Gondola Ride is an imitation of the Gondola ride in Venice, Italy. The Venetian mall, located in Vegas, is a decent sized area with fancy restaurants and various shops. Ride workers dress up in a striped shirt and black pants, similar to what they wear in the Venice venue. The sky is also known to be baby blue no matter what time of the day it is. To view a map with instructions to the Gondola ride, click here.  

The Luxor

I may have stayed at Mandalay Bay over the summer, but many of the hotels in that area of Vegas are connected to each other. Mandalay Bay happens to be connected to the Luxor where you are then taken into a new theme of Ancient Egypt upon entering. It includes Egyptian architecture like pharaohs and the sphinx. The hotel is shaped exactly like a pyramid. During night time the tip of the pyramid lights up, drawing attention to visitors.

Seafood City

Seafood City Supermarket is only located in five U.S. states and there happens to be some in Nevada. Seafood City includes a Filipino supermarket as well as several restaurants like Jollibee and Grill City. Jollibee is a  Filipino fast-food chain that serves pineapple juice, sweet-style spaghetti, tocino (pork) and much more. Grill City is most famous for its Filipino-style pork and chicken barbecue.

Las Vegas is such a pretty scene and although many people like to gamble and drink while being in Vegas, you can still have fun without those activities. If you plan to go to Vegas during the COVID-19 pandemic, remember to practice social distancing and wear a mask while enjoying these activities. Always wash your hands often and be sure to practice your hotel’s COVID-19 prevention practices. If you feel sick or have a fever, stay home to keep other vacationers safe and healthy.  

Chey C

Akron '24

Chey is in her junior year at Akron studying History along with having a minor in English. Activities she enjoys doing is traveling, shopping and hanging out with friends.
Madeline Myers is a 2020 graduate of the University of Akron. She has a B.A. English with a minor in Creative Writing. At Her Campus, Madeline enjoys writing movie and TV reviews. Her personal essay “Living Room Saloon” is published in the 2019 issue of The Ashbelt. Madeline grew up in Zanesville, Ohio. She loves quoting comedians, reading James Baldwin, and sipping on grape soda. She fears a future run by robots but looks forward to the day when her stories are read by those outside of her immediate family.