This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

One of the most delightful parts of watching an actor’s career develop is the chance to see how that person grows alongside their profession. Although that transformation can sometimes be regressive, what is most enjoyable is seeing an actor hone their craft while staying grounded. The entertainment industry tends to create an environment of exaggerated ego and self-praise, so to have an actor relatively unfazed by the sentiment of “celebrity” is rather remarkable. For these reasons, Saoirse Ronan has established herself as one of the most impressive and genuinely likable figures to leave her mark on Hollywood.

Ronan began acting at the age of nine on the Irish television drama, The Clinic, but it was her role as Briony in 2007’s Atonement that rocketed her to international acclaim. In 2009, Ronan starred in the film adaptation of The Lovely Bones, taking on a deeply serious role that dealt with challenging subject matter. Since then, she’s steadily taken on a variety of roles that have garnered her with several award nominations and wins.

Only just turning 25 this year, Ronan is well on her way to becoming one of film’s leading ladies (if she’s not already), solidifying herself as one of the most talented actresses of our time. What makes Ronan so charismatic beyond her performances is her off-screen personality, and her humble approach toward work and life has led to a sincere fan base.

Below are just a few reasons Saoirse Ronan is so beloved by fellow actors and audiences alike.

She’s an Acting Chameleon

Ronan has taken on so many different roles that it’s almost difficult to keep up with. After beginning her career on television, Ronan has moved through an array of film work. She’s been a part of science fiction thrillers (The Host), comedies (Lady Bird, The Grand Budapest Hotel), romantic dramas (Brooklyn), and historical dramas (Mary Queen of Scots) to name a few. Upcoming titles she’s slated to star in include Little Women, written and directed by Lady Bird’s Greta Gerwig, and The French Dispatch. Other mediums Ronan’s been a part of include her 2016 stage performance of The Crucible in 2016 and her roles in music videos by Hozier and Ed Sheeran. There’s nothing she can’t do!

She Doesn’t Take Herself Too Seriously

Ronan is no stranger to poking fun at herself. “Saoirse” is a traditional Irish name, and is pronounced differently than spelled (ser-sha). Ronan has explained this countless times in interviews, and somehow finds a way to maintain patience when she’s inevitably asked about her name. She also hosted Saturday Night Live in December 2017, performing skits as a flight attendant for Aer Lingus and as a pop singer addressing sexual assault. (Fun Fact: U2 was the show’s musical guest.)

She’s Not Into Social Media

In a 2018 interview with The Wrap, Ronan explains her disinterest in having a social media presence. “It’s too much work for me and too stressful,” she says. “I’ve developed a kind of distant relationship with my phone and technology over the last couple of years. I get why musicians do it, and journalists or people in the public eye. But acting is a different thing, ’cause you’re not yourself when you’re working. I’m not me in anything that anyone sees me in. So for me then to get on Twitter and go, ‘Oh, I’ve had a terrible day’ or ‘God, I’ve got such a headache,’ I just don’t think people need to see that.”

She’s Unbothered by Fame

Ronan makes efforts not to get sucked in to the Hollywood fame bubble. “Because I don’t read any articles about myself, and I don’t look at any photos of myself or interviews, I’m kind of able to detach from it almost completely,” she says. Being recognized, she adds, will never be normal for her. “I still get completely shocked that anyone knows who I am.”

During an interview with Ellen, Ronan even revealed that she went home after the 2019 Golden Globes to put on her pajamas and watch the rest of the show with friends. Nothing says you’re in your twenties quite like ditching the social scene for some pizza!

She Loves Being Irish

Originally born in the Bronx, New York, Ronan spent most of her childhood in County Carlow, Ireland. Today, she lives in County Wicklow, just outside Dublin, though travels often for work. Between her time spent in New York, Dublin, and London, she says she enjoys being in Ireland because it’s where she feels at home. “There’s a serenity there that I can’t find anywhere else,” she explains.

“I don’t know where I’m from. I’m just Irish.”

Abbey is an Ohio native currently caught between the charm of the Midwest and the lure of the big city. She loves all things politics and pop culture, and is always ready to discuss the intersections of both. Her favorite season is awards season and she is a tireless advocate of the Oxford Comma. Abbey will take a cup of lemon tea over coffee any day and believes that she can convince you to do the same. As a former English major, she holds the power of words near and dear.