5 Low Cost Ways to Get in the Spooky Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

With the fall weather upon us, bringing cool autumn air, crisp leaves and an abundance of fun and festive activities like apple picking, pumpkin carving, and corn mazes, it’s time to get into the autumn spirit! Looking through glossy Instagram pages and curated Pinterest boards may make you feel like you need to dish out the big bucks to get into the seasonal spirit, but don’t worry! Here are 5 cheap ways to get into the spooky spirit.

Candles

There are definitely some pretty pricey candles out there, but my $5 candle from Walmart gets me in the autumn mood for cheap. Light them up and breathe in seasonal scents like pumpkin spice, apple cider, evergreen, and sugar cookie.

Tea

There’s nothing like listening to a nice, fall rainstorm while curled up inside with a book, a blanket and a cup of hot tea. My favorite blend for the season is orange and cinnamon spice but I also recommend chai and caramel.

Halloween Socks

On cool autumn mornings and nights, your feet (and you!) are going to be chilly padding across your cold dorm room tiles or kitchen floors. Stay warm and in the spirit with Halloween socks!

Movie Marathon

Nothing like nostalgia to get you in the mood for the holidays. Check out classics such as Beetlejuice, Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin or Halloweentown to remind you of the fall season of your childhood. Netflix, Hulu and Freeform’s 31 Days of Halloween are great sources for your cinematic thrills.

Spooky Playlist

For me, music gets me in the holiday spirit, whether that means blasting “Born in the USA” on the 4th of July or Bing Crosby crooning in the background during Christmas break. Spotify has plenty of awesome and spooky playlists under the genre Halloween (for free!).

Emily Janikowski, otherwise known as Em, can be found usually lurking in the depths of the Polsky building as a writing tutor, and when she isn't there, she is curled up in bed binge watching Law & Order SVU. Her passion lies in changing the world, and she hopes to accomplish this through majoring in social work.
Madeline Myers is a 2020 graduate of the University of Akron. She has a B.A. English with a minor in Creative Writing. At Her Campus, Madeline enjoys writing movie and TV reviews. Her personal essay “Living Room Saloon” is published in the 2019 issue of The Ashbelt. Madeline grew up in Zanesville, Ohio. She loves quoting comedians, reading James Baldwin, and sipping on grape soda. She fears a future run by robots but looks forward to the day when her stories are read by those outside of her immediate family.