5 Fun (and Low-Risk!) Fall Activities to Get You in the Autumnal Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

As the weather cools down, it’s easy to think of all the fun, seasonal activities we are missing out on. I know this year I will miss big Halloween parties, football games, and just hanging out with all my friends. Even though Fall will look a little different this year, there are still fun activities you can get up to that are low-cost and lower risk during a pandemic.

Movie Nights

There are so many fun and spooky movies that will get you in the autumnal spirit! You can gather up all your roommates or whomever you live with and make a blanket fort in the living or make some hot chocolate and binge some Netflix. You can also meet with friends online with apps like Netflix Party or Kast. Another cool idea would be to go drive-in or use a projector to watch outside while socially distanced. Check out some spooky movies like Scream or Silence of the Lambs on Netflix right now or Halloweentown and Hocus Pocus on Disney Plus. 

Thrifting

In most places, stores and shopping centers have reopened with safety precautions. Be sure to wear your mask, use hand sanitizer, social distance, and do a symptom check before leaving the house, but going to a thrift store can be a fun, lower-risk activity. Many thrift stores have home goods sections, so you can buy cheap, cute decor for autumn, and you can also take a look at the great fall selections. I always enjoy looking through the men’s section for big, oversized hoodies and jackets. Plus, this can be a fun DIY activity. I was able to buy a cheap, Men’s XXL sweatshirt for $4, and then, using just my bathtub and some toilet cleaner with bleach was able to create a cool, acid wash effect that I had seen on TikTok. It is now my favorite hoodie. 

Baking

I love baking, cooking and trying new recipes. Pinterest is hands-down (after Snapchat) my favorite social media platform because I can find all the different recipes and baking tricks to my heart’s content. My favorite person to follow on there is Half Baked Harvest. I recently made her pumpkin streusel chocolate lava bread, and it was to die for. Whenever it gets cool outside, I love making the inside cozy, by putting on some music, lighting candles and trying out a new recipe. The great thing about baking is that many of the ingredients are really cheap, and ingredients like pumpkin filling are in stock right now. If baking is not for you, but you appreciate good eats, there are always great cooking shows to watch too. The Great British Baking Show has a new season coming out on Netflix, and Hulu has Halloween baking shows such as Halloween Baking Championship. 

Outdoor Activities

Get outside! Some evidence and research has shown that outdoor activities are much safer than indoor activities during this pandemic. The best part of fall has always been the changing leaves, crisp air, and gorgeous outdoor scenery. This would be a great time to go for a hike or check out a local park. I love exploring the Summit Metro Parks, especially the Towpath Trail! Other fun activities could be to have socially-distanced bonfires or go apple or pumpkin picking. 

Fall Playlist

Something I really enjoy doing when a new season or holiday rolls around when I am bored by myself is making a new playlist. I find it relaxing to have some Netflix on in the background as a try to create a playlist that totally captures the mood of the season. This would be a great time to make a Halloween playlist with iconic songs like “Ghostbusters” and “Time Warp.” Right now, “we fell in love in october” by girl in red and “Green Tea Ice Cream” by Linda Diaz are getting me into the Autumn vibes.  

Emily Janikowski, otherwise known as Em, can be found usually lurking in the depths of the Polsky building as a writing tutor, and when she isn't there, she is curled up in bed binge watching Law & Order SVU. Her passion lies in changing the world, and she hopes to accomplish this through majoring in social work.