Style

5 Fashion Pieces to Brighten Up Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

I may say this about every holiday, but Valentine’s Day is for sure my favorite holiday. Single, taken, throupled, or coupled, Valentine’s Day is a holiday for love whether that be for your mom, your best friend, your girlfriend or your dog. February is always a blah month for me with the gray skies, fluctuating temperatures and slush in the streets, so having a day where it is expected to celebrate one of the most basic human emotions, wear pink and eat chocolate is a holiday for me. To brighten up your Valentine’s Day, here are five fashion pieces that you may already own: 

A Pink or White Cardigan

A cardigan is a great wardrobe staple for two reasons: versatility and comfort. Cardigans can be worn over basically any outfit and come in a variety of cuts, materials, and shades, and they’re comfy to boot. I love throwing cardigans like this one over a graphic tee or even a cute dress. Plus, shades like pink or white are a simple way to show off your V-Day flair. 

A Fun, Red Sweater

Okay, yes, this is very cliché, but what other day of the year can you unironically rock bold colors like red and a fun pattern? This sweater fits that bill and keeps you cozy at the same time. 

Pastel Scrunchies! 

Scrunchies are for sure having a moment right now, and I cannot imagine life without them. They can double as bracelets, they brighten up almost any hair style, and I can live my best Stranger Things life. I will be devastated when this trend goes back in the vault, but before that happens, rock your favorite pastel scrunchies like this one.

A Pink T-Shirt

Yeah, another cliché, but embracing pink is one of my favorite parts of Valentine’s Day. You can always mix it up with a white shirt or a red one, but sticking in the traditional color palette can nonchalantly indicate you’re observing V-Day. 

Bold Earrings

I am a huge fan of bold earrings – almost as much as I am of holidays – and I think everyone should be rocking big earrings from hoops to studs and everything in between. Picking a heart shaped design or a colorful one is a simple way to embrace Valentine’s Day and spice up an everyday outfit. 

Emily Janikowski, otherwise known as Em, can be found usually lurking in the depths of the Polsky building as a writing tutor, and when she isn't there, she is curled up in bed binge watching Law & Order SVU. Her passion lies in changing the world, and she hopes to accomplish this through majoring in social work.